Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, I have 4 snakes but my corn snake is a real houdini and escaped last nght the thing is normally we find him straight away and this time i cant! i have 2 downstairs rooms a kitchen and lounge and i have had everything out cooker, washing machine, fridge freezer, sofas, telly everything!! anyone have any tips. would they climb stairs? please help he is my baby had him since he has eaten is first feed and now he is 18months old any ideas welcome!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
When (if) you do find him again you may want to make sure his viv is escape proof as you've obviously lost him more than once:
normally we find him straight away
How big is he & how does he get out?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
bottle traps.....2l bottle top cut off and inverted. food inside

plastic bags....along skirting boards, then sit in dark with torch and wait

flour..............across doorways, will identify a snake on the move

matchsticks....same as flour, less messy, and can confirm which direction snake going.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
i just lost one of my snakes:( she dies we found her 2 weeks later she had whent out the window(dont ask how) and fallin 2 floors and broke her back(we think) thats the only explinations so keep your windows shut!!!
also look high as well as low!! behind the freezer? in shoes?
try the flour thing in the room where you thiknk he is in as that works really well!!!!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
H ehas escaped before twice once inbetween the galss when he was a baby in worm state!! and then once he got the vent out of the back of his viv and got out there!! the bottle and bag thing sounds like a plan i will try that tonight after work. he is about 2.5ft long but only small 18months old so he could be anywhere!!

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Let us know how it goes.

I've mentioned my Harry Houdini on here before, but I'll say it again because it truly is remarkable!

He escaped (still don't know how), went missing for 8 weeks...tried bottle traps, bags, flour, you name it....nothing. Then one night, after dark, i was being dropped off home, and there he was, on the doorstep. We live in a 1st floor flat! He was like a straw when we got him back, but there was no lasting damage, just a litle on the wild side now, and i dont think i will ever tame him fully! But I like him that way.

P.S. He was roughly 6mths old when he vanished.

DON'T GIVE UP :wink:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the ideas i have tried everyone and still no success i am so sad he was my first and my little baby!! he was tiny when i first got him i so hope he turns up i definately dont think he is in the house we have looked everywhere!! we even cut holes in the walls cos we saw a gap small enough for him to get in and still we found nothing!! i so hope he turns up!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
leave food out works for me when mine used to get out, and look in dark warm places!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i left 30 mice out over 3 nights and still nothing i really dont think he is in the house but if he isnt i really dont know how he got out i am so so so so so so sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad!!

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I am sorry it is not working so far.

Have you tried the plastic bags around the skirting boards? flour on the doorways?

30 mice over 3 nights is excessive. I got larger mice, and chopped them up! Didn't use much at all that way. You primarily want to find him, as opposed to giving him food on every corner.

It is an unfortunate time of year to lose a snake. Cold, means that they can easily head off into a sock drawer or similar to brumate.

For God's sake, check the Christmas Decorations box before you put it away!!!!

Dont give up. Keep positive and he will turn up

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have plastic bags and flour all over the house!! i put the mice infront of hides and in bottles in hope of him eating and hiding and i took the crimbo decs down the day he went missin and checked them excessivly i have had all my draws out i have tried everything!! how long would he last outside if he had got out?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
THE FAMOUS SNAKE TRAP!!!

find an old shoe box, cut a hole just big enough for him to fit through, on the inside tape a sandwich bag(or something similar) so the snake can get through it cant get out, place his dinner in there and wait!!! check every day.

I lost mine for three weeks, got told about this, and HEY PRESTO!! it does work.

Just remember to tape the lid down, lol.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
at 18mths, your sanke could survive nearly a year without proper food.

When i got mine back, he wouldn't drink from the bowl, i had to spray the plastic leaves and he sooked on them. musta been living of the dew on the grass, or eating grass!! they can be very resourceful.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks that puts my mind at rest a bit i really hope he turns up hes my baby!! better not move house till hes found the land lady would have a heart attack if he did eventually turn up!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NO0 STILL NOT FOUND HIM I GOT HIM A GIRLFRIEND FOR WHEN HE DOES EVENTUALLY COME BACK TRY AND KEEP HIM BUSY RATHER THEN HIM FINDING ESCAPE ROUTES!! WILL LET YOU KNOW AS SOON AS HE IS FOUND

·
Registered
201 Posts
obdvious one but keep checking the airing cupboard they will find a hot spot and frequent it. lost my first ever snake yrs ago and after calling in reinforcements we turned my house upside down looking for him. wasn't till we went to start again that my other half of the time screamed. she found him curled on top of water tank. all snuggled up and looking quite fat. good luck finding yours try not too worry too much usually they get found

1 - 20 of 29 Posts