Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I had 2 reared in the house as goslings and then moved out into the garden.The mess they made was excessive but on the upside they were the two most affectionate animals I have ever had,even as adults they would sit on your knee,gently groom your hair and eyebrows.In the house though,out of the question but you could walk them,where you lead they walked.I had them as tiny goslings so they were imprinted.Highly recommend them as long as you have land or don't mind the garden being turned into a swamp.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
I reared one in the house and the smell and mess was mental for a little gosling so cannot imagine how bad it would be as an adult.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It would be completely out of the question to keep a goose indoors, sorry. All waterfowl are very dirty and quite frankly they stink !! Geese need access to a paddock as they are very much grazing animals and water which they need to be able to get into and have a good old bath everyday.

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
i hatched mine indoors in an incubator and kept them in for 4 weeks but put them in a run in the sun on nice days.

the mess and smell was unbelievable, they had to be scrubbed out totally twice a day and they still minged.

makes for very tame goosers that sit on your lap and nick your salad when you`re trying to peacefully eat your barbeque though.

they are great pets, really miss mine, would have some more in a heartbeat if my neighbours wernt such to*s*rs.
i`d have a small shed with a slabbed fenced yard on it though so it could be scraped up and hosed, and let them on the garden to toodle about when i was in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm saddened that they won't make great house pets, but I plan to get a couple when I have a place with a garden!

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm saddened that they won't make great house pets, but I plan to get a couple when I have a place with a garden!
Be wary if you have neighbours as the noise that geese can emit can be loud & unpleasant!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha ok, thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to wait till I get a detached place. Quite a few years yet!

Cheers again everyone!

·
Registered
25,485 Posts
I had two ducks that came in the house... We reared them in the house from eggs and once they got to be feathered, they went outside when we weren't home. But they still came in quite a lot and we were forever following them around with loo roll! *lol*

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
We used to have a house/ garden goose (depending on the time of day and how evil), we called it hissing sid. It was absolutley mental, always trying to bite, chasing people, the only thing it was scared of was feather dusters and water:lol2: My gran used to sit on a chair and lay dusters all around it too keep him away :')

We only got him because we felt sorry for it, as it was going to be killed if someone didn't adopt it xD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts