Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to get a second beardie in my 4 foot viv with Perry, my 6/7 month old leatherback morph.
The baby beardies are currently at a pet shop living with their parents and other baby dragons.

I appreciate this may be a tricky question to answer and may not apply to all beardies, but can anyone tell me if this can be done and if so, what is the best way to go about doing this and making sure both lizards are happy?

The baby will eventually have its own viv.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking to get a second beardie in my 4 foot viv with Perry, my 6/7 month old leatherback morph.
The baby beardies are currently at a pet shop living with their parents and other baby dragons.

I appreciate this may be a tricky question to answer and may not apply to all beardies, but can anyone tell me if this can be done and if so, what is the best way to go about doing this and making sure both lizards are happy?

Thanks
there is no best way, they need to be kept seperate

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Good advice.

Listen to him and you're in for a win.

Bearded dragons are solitary animals. They dont do well in pairs or trios etc.

there are experienced keepers that house them together but only in the right combination... I stress that people that do this generally have years of experience and know what to look for in case of bullying.

simply put... dont house dragons together

Reactions: Jebb and tremerz97

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
At a pet shop (I won't name and shame of course ;) ) one of the workers put a young beardy in with the larger juvie for cleaning out, the young one ended up with it's head bitten off. There is also a facebook page (I would post the link but I'll get a slap on the wrist) with a picture of a beardy with it's slightly smaller "friend's" tail sticking out of it's mouth. I wouldn't risk it in the slightest.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I have to agree with tremerz here. Even if you discard the size difference you should still be quarantining any new rep. Putting him straight in with your previous beardy could potentially put one or both at risk of disease and/or being injured/eaten!

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Hi,

Thanks

The pet shop is housing hatchlings with adults? That needs reporting asap. All they are doing is pretty much feeding the hatchlings to the adults.

Reactions: tremerz97

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I kept my two beardies together, but they were sisters and were together from hatching, both were the same size obviously, the only problem I had was every time I increased thr size of thr viv they re established the dominance but never hurt eachother

·
Registered
803 Posts
I can't remember where I read it now (a book, not online) but beardies are apparently known to eat smaller lizards in the wild, including small bearded dragons. As some of the other posts have said, it's likely that your big one will attack or worst case, eat, the little one.

Definitely wouldn't put them together for a minute, not at that size, and not in a 4ft

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
those that say the BD may eat the other one...are BD teeth that sharp :gasp: I thought the worst you could get from a BD was a suck or a flash of it's beard?

I agree with the advice tho, do not house two together, it's not needed for the animal to be happy, if you were to do it. it would be so you would feel better it had a friend, not the animal, it couldn't care less.

·
Registered
803 Posts
They're sharp enough to get the job done! They've got quite powerful jaws and pull prey to the back of their mouths for maximum squashage.

Given that we're not prey to a beardie, we'll only get the threatening nips, we don't get the full 'Ima eat you!' bites that their food gets :)

Reactions: Jebb

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
They're sharp enough to get the job done! They've got quite powerful jaws and pull prey to the back of their mouths for maximum squashage.

Given that we're not prey to a beardie, we'll only get the threatening nips, we don't get the full 'Ima eat you!' bites that their food gets :)
I have had a feeding bite from an adult beardie :(
Used to give them ft pinky mice as a treat, little sod jumped about a foot and a half up and wennt for the mouse when I wasn't looking amd caught my fore finger and refused tp let go.
He was hanging off my finger by his jaws for about 5 minutes until I managed to distract him with locusts
Shredded my finger, so yeah, pretty sharp teeth

·
Registered
803 Posts
Used to give them ft pinky mice as a treat, little sod jumped about a foot and a half up and wennt for the mouse when I wasn't looking amd caught my fore finger and refused tp let go.
He was hanging off my finger by his jaws for about 5 minutes until I managed to distract him with locusts
Eek! Luckily haven't had any bites from mine. A few close calls though, apparently my fingers look like giant worms!

·
Registered
255 Posts
As above dont house em together. If you want another beardie great but go buy a second setup for it first and keep them seperate they will both appreciate it :).

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
lol

I've had a defensive 'I'm gonna kill you' bite from a beardie. Ok granted it was barealy a nip from a day old hatchling :lol2: but I felt it. LIttle bugger wouldn't let go either, had to sit there for a couple of mins till he decided it was safe to let me go.

When a beardie bites for either defensive or aggressive reasons, better watch those fingers (toes and tails also) as they have a mean bite on them.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
during breeding season my male beardie will attack anything that goes through the doors of his viv,
( hands, feeding tongs, plant pot is his fav )
it hurts alot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts