Reptile Forums banner

Is your local rep shop reptile friendly?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

At my local rep shop theres a tortoise and adult beardie housed together, should this be done?
Also theres a fair sized monitor in a glass tank not much bigger then him, he was up at the glass looking at me all sorrifulL :( are all rep shops like this?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thats a good point... at my local they have housed a frilled dragon, water dragon and an australian water dragon... now I'm no expert but shouldn't both the water dragons be kept in different temperatured environments?

·
Registered
597 Posts
housing different species and the same species for me is a no, for one if you house different species they will need different enviroments, they may fight, one may get larger than the other and see it as a food source, not to mention its stressful on them.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No decent reptile shop does this! I would accept that shops may need to house more than one animal per viv as space is at a premium,but mixing species like that is totally wrong!

·
She Ra, Mastress of the Universe
1,045 Posts
my nearest rep shop is good on the housing side, but extortionate on the money side. but thats expected really.

though the tanks for the reps do seem a bit small, but again thats understandable, as usually its not a permanent home.

they also had reps boarding, so id say they're pretty competent in their knowledge.

so i thik overall id say its a good, but expensive, place.

:D

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
RFM said:
Thats a good point... at my local they have housed a frilled dragon, water dragon and an australian water dragon... now I'm no expert but shouldn't both the water dragons be kept in different temperatured environments?
the frilled dragons differing humidty requirements prolyl the more dangerous issue there.

Our local is pretty crap, dirty vivs, huge crix being fed to baby dragons etc but they dont mix species...except one case they have a large flexarium thing with about 5 different corns in.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
the reptile shop i used to go to housed tokays,wds,torts and a few other reps in 1 3x3x7 viv not very big at all and there was atleast 7-9 wds in there anyways they used to board reps and thy were kept in very small vivs for example adult beardies in a 2ftx1ftx1ft vivs yer i no not good the shop was a state and wasnt very cheap
the one i use now have very big vivs for al the reps and the only mix ive seen is 1 iggy (shops own pet) wiv a very large wd i asked why thy were in togeher and the very big wd was bullying the smaller wds in the wd viv so they put him in with the iggy till he is sold (the wd not the iggy)
so what im trying to say is nothing should really bee mixed unless there is a very very good reason fo it and its only for a couple of days max
manda xx

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
The reptile shop I go to is great, the shops always clean, the animlas are happy and fairly tame when you buy them, he doesn't house anything together ( he has housed iggies and wds together) but they were babys and the did sell quickly) but that hasn't happened since.
He knows what hes talking about and is always giving people adivce in the shop, aswell as he always has vivs and uvs ect in and hes a really nice guy! :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Personally if alot of research is done SOME species can be kept together. Very few but some.

I keep water dragons and golden geckos together at home..

Now before i get slated here let me explain:

The gecko's and wd's need almost identical envirmontal conditions.
The geckos are nocturnal/ the wd's diurinal.
The wd occupy the horivontal surfaces the geckos the vertical
There are plenty of hides for both species if neded.
The 1st 2 days of introducing the species are nerve wracking yes... but very close observation and being prepared to act quickly is essential.

Please remember also that shops are limited drastically by space. And that the animals should only be in there very short term.

The main problem i can see is if 2 entirely different species or species of differing sizes are mixed. Also the quarentine aspect of things should also be questioned.

I guess my point is....if the research is done... and the person mixing is willing to put the extra work in to observations etc then it CAN be done.minimizing risk but never eliminating the risk completely

·
Registered
85 Posts
surely no animals should really be housed together, reptile or not. To be really fussy all animals have different needs/environments, even if they are similar and will tolerate the same environment, i do believe some degree of stress will follow :? i suppose pet shops think its only temporary as they expect to sell the animals, not to say that it is still correct to do so.

·
She Ra, Mastress of the Universe
1,045 Posts
i have one observation to add.

animals arent separated in the wild... admittedly they have free fun to get away if they fancy it, but in my opinion if the tank is big enough and they come from the same general area, they hey why not. {and i mean a real bit tank}

probly gona have a load of people going off on one at me, but i thought id say anyway.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
tortoises can be kept with some lizards. they can be kept with monitors if the size of the tort isnt big enough to fit in the monitors mouth. Both blackpool and australia zoo have said its fine so far in my research, chester zoo didnt like the idea but they seemed like they couldnt be bothered replying in the first place.

i dont agree with alot of the cohabitting species pet shops do but if research is done thoroughly and the consequences are thought through deeply and there seems naturally no risk then its possible to give it a go. i havent tried it before but i wouldnt rule it out if i knew enough about the species to back it all up.

i know some people wont agree with me on it but nevermind.

·
Registered
213 Posts
the rep shop i go ( the only one:p ) is very friendly and they do not put dif species together, i never saw something like that in there...but must exist a lot of rep shops that do that:S

1 - 16 of 16 Posts