Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was wondering what do you house young burms in? i got my male as a 7'ter lol so i never had the privelage of a baby bumr but will do very very soon lol, Can you put a young burm straight into a 4x2x2 or will itget too stressed?

Thanks

Ismail

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
when mine was a young'un she went straight into a 4 foot viv with a couple of hides, spent most of her time on top of the hides amongst the plastic plants:lol2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
when mine was a young'un she went straight into a 4 foot viv with a couple of hides, spent most of her time on top of the hides amongst the plastic plants:lol2:
Yeah I agree, mine went in to a 4 x 2 x 2 from almost birth and hes always on show, bold species of snake really.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn t lol ive set up a 3x1.5x1.5 nicely lol but seems il put her straight into a 4x2x2 then shes going into a 6x3x3 when shes 7'

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
ok, guess I'll skip the 2x2x2 then :whistling2:

Even at birth they are as long as that tank. I wouldnt expect it to be in it for much over 6 months if that.

Unless you have a 2 x 2 x 2 just laying around temporarily then it would be dear to take that option as youll be buying a 4 x 2 x 2 quickly.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i feed my bumr ona reall good diet, hes about 1.5 years old and 8' and some of you have seen pics and you know hes not over weight or skinny so if i fed a female burm ona sensible diet, how big should i expect her to get in her first year? 7-9'?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
i feed my bumr ona reall good diet, hes about 1.5 years old and 8' and some of you have seen pics and you know hes not over weight or skinny so if i fed a female burm ona sensible diet, how big should i expect her to get in her first year? 7-9'?

I think youre probably quite acurate with that. Definately 7, I dont know if 9 foot in a year though.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
some one on here was selling a 12' 08 !!!!!!
Yeah but that will be powerfed to death unless it was an early 08. Even then thats only 18 months old. I wouldnt expect to see 12' till around 2 years.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
A healthy normally fed burmese should not hit 9ft in the first year unless it's been stuffed like a pinata. At 3 ears i would expect a big female to be around 10-12ft.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
A healthy normally fed burmese should not hit 9ft in the first year unless it's been stuffed like a pinata. At 3 ears i would expect a big female to be around 10-12ft.
Agreed,and I think its a sign of the trend in the hobby now to over feed large pythons(and most species tbh)that it's now considered normal for a Burm to hit 9 - 10ft in its 1st year.Sad really,they'd live far longer,healthier and happier lives if this wasn't the case.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
People used to say to me about boas that they grow quickly if you 'feed them up' and same applies to burmese. The thing i dont get is why you would want to risk impeding its health like that? Power fed boas can die at about 5 years old. I want at least 20 odd years out of mine.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
I vary all my meals from 2-6 weeks for mine as it's far more natural and they will be better off in the long run. I'd rather have my snakes attain there size at a more natural pace then have a 10ft monster after 10-12 months.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I vary all my meals from 2-6 weeks for mine as it's far more natural and they will be better off in the long run. I'd rather have my snakes attain there size at a more natural pace then have a 10ft monster after 10-12 months.
I agree totally, plus it keeps the food bill down. Does a 2 week cycle not underfeed a baby burmese? Mine gets a rat a week to be honest but I dont feed any of my snakes until they have crapped the last meal out. I just imagine well fed snakes to get gut impaction and all sorts to be honest. As well as obesity.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
I agree totally, plus it keeps the food bill down. Does a 2 week cycle not underfeed a baby burmese? Mine gets a rat a week to be honest but I dont feed any of my snakes until they have crapped the last meal out. I just imagine well fed snakes to get gut impaction and all sorts to be honest. As well as obesity.
I find that a 2week cycle is fine. How many baby burmese do you think eat every 7-10 days in the wild ;) I have a 09 burm that was a none feeder for 4 months so shes getting food every 4-6 days to get som weight back on he.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
I find that a 2week cycle is fine. How many baby burmese do you think eat every 7-10 days in the wild ;) I have a 09 burm that was a none feeder for 4 months so shes getting food every 4-6 days to get som weight back on he.
I dont know mate to be honest. There is always speculation about different opportunistic feeding animals in the wild. Having never seen the natural habitats of these snakes its hard to say. There maybe millions of little rodents running round where these snakes live and they are inundated with meals. Its doubtful but as I say, ive not seen them in the wild. I would imagine most baby burmese get eaten before they eat in the wild. I remember a turtle show once that documented the incubation cycle of them and once hatched, out of 100s of babies, lots got eaten before they got to the waters edge, and of the 'lucky' few that entered, most got eaten by fish and other sea dwellers.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
I dont know mate to be honest. There is always speculation about different opportunistic feeding animals in the wild. Having never seen the natural habitats of these snakes its hard to say. There maybe millions of little rodents running round where these snakes live and they are inundated with meals. Its doubtful but as I say, ive not seen them in the wild. I would imagine most baby burmese get eaten before they eat in the wild. I remember a turtle show once that documented the incubation cycle of them and once hatched, out of 100s of babies, lots got eaten before they got to the waters edge, and of the 'lucky' few that entered, most got eaten by fish and other sea dwellers.
Most snakes in the wild may only eat 3-7 times a year which would explain there growth rate compared to captive snakes. Of couse some may eat oftern and eat bigger sized meals which explains some of the leggit freaky sightings :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts