Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks, im after abit of info, i work in a small reptile shop and we have just taken delivery of a male retic and a male burmese and as usual i have fell in love with both, i am considering buying one or the other to house in a large room enclosure as my boss has offered me my pick really cheap
now i know the approx size that both can potentially reach but i was wondering what size they are actually likely to acheive, they are both about 3 feet long at present as they are still both very young,
im not looking for sizes taken of the web or sizes of wild snakes or even the record length acheived, i am looking for owners of adults (preferably males) of both species to let me know what size their snakes have actually reached,

thanks...................kwiky :wink:

·
Registered
324 Posts
well mate the longest burm i hae seen is 23 feet! and thats no joke, they are massive and too dangerous in my opinion to keep. many reach to about 18 to 19 feet no problems.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i'm pretty sure retics grow bigger, some guy posted not too long ago saying he got a new retic who's father was 24ft :eek:mg:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Yeah that snake is at the Cotswolds Wildlife Park and is huuuuuge!

Iv had a burm that was 12ft and still growing. And have seen burms get to 16ft and thick as my thigh.

:lol:

·
Registered
301 Posts
that burm was prob female and possibly wild caught,they often grow slightly bigger also there are extremes in every spiecies.i have never seen a captive bred one that big.we have two burms a male who is about 16/18 months and nearly 6ft.we would expect him to get around 13ft give or take. and a female who is about 6 months and just over 3ft.she'll prob reach 16-18ft give or take a few ft :) but of course every snake is different and eventhough the same spiecies the size can vary quite abit.
as for them being dangerous i think thats a load of cod sh*t :D burms are one of the most laid back pythons,but as with any animal large or small they can inflict damage,however most of these occurances are down to us stupid humans :!: :D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hi Kwiky im a Retic keeper and have 3 adults plus quite a few babies so to speak. The question of size can depend on many types of thing i.e the locality of the Retic, some do/can get bigger than others. Feeding shedule , will you feed it on a normal one or use a more heavy approch, you can feed baby Retics every couple of days (But with breaks) for the first year but if you do that expect it to go fast male or not. I would say as a guide you can expect CB males to get any where from 13-23ft you can never say it will get 15ft or so on and thats it, but you can control its growth to a certain degree on how its fed. but some people will say what is the point if your gonna get a big snake like a Retic then let it grow how it would rather than trying to stunt its growth

All my Adults are WC because you cant get them CB as adults yet ,

sizes of my adults I have 1 male and 2 female all fully grown the male Yellow Head is 10-11ft , Female Bali Yellow Head is 11-12ft and the Female Calico is 14ft

Pic of my male yellow head

hope this helps you !! Get the Retic if you have the time and space... :D

If you need any more info just shout and I will try and help

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks very much thats just the kind of info i was looking for, i would make no attempt to reduce its size by altering its feeding schedule as its not that important an issue for me, if i do get the retic i will be fully expecting to house an extremley large snake for the rest of its life regardless of whether it reaches 14ft or 20ft
its just that there are so many horror stories around about giant boids i thought it best i seek the advice of someone who actually keeps them instead of people who know someone that knows someone that had one,

what do you find their temperament to be like, this is another area where horror stories circulate, i know it would obviously vary between individuals but what is your oppinion based on your experiences? the young one i may be getting seems rather gentle natured, i have handled it on a few occasions and seen no aggresion what so ever yet a couple of people i have spoken to say that all retics are nasty by nature

i do have the time and i do have the space to keep such a magnificent creature but i want to gather as much info from owners as i can before i make a descision
thanks.....................kwiky

p.s. that is an awsome snake you got there :thumb:

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i've not seem a full size retic, but the biggest burm i saw was a 20ft 12 stone beast..female obviously.
as for males, around 12 i think is the biggest i have seen.

·
Registered
597 Posts
first of all i would ask you how long you have kept snakes for and what kind of snakes...retics and burms are experts only i would say, if you have never had a large snake atleast start out with a boa, they get big but not as big as burms and retics, my gf now wife had to give up her 2 burms about 4 years ago, her male was just reaching 24ft and her female was 16ft. you gotta remember you always have to have a second person or 2 helping hands to help you, always better to be safe than sorry.

ps. i know its unheard of for a male burm to be that large :) it was sexed twice once by my wife and father in law and once by the zoo both said male and measured at 24ft :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
It is also worth mentioning that both these snakes have a very aggresive food responce and should not be something to mess around with.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Jack13 said:
first of all i would ask you how long you have kept snakes for and what kind of snakes...retics and burms are experts only i would say, if you have never had a large snake atleast start out with a boa, they get big but not as big as burms and retics, my gf now wife had to give up her 2 burms about 4 years ago, her male was just reaching 24ft and her female was 16ft. you gotta remember you always have to have a second person or 2 helping hands to help you, always better to be safe than sorry.

ps. i know its unheard of for a male burm to be that large :) it was sexed twice once by my wife and father in law and once by the zoo both said male and measured at 24ft :)
jesus !!! :eek:mg: thats one hell of a burm lol :lol:

i think burms and retics are beautiful snakes, absolutely stunning, but a great deal of consideration should taken before you get one seeing as they can grow ***** huge!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Kwiky, I would have to dis-agree with all the hype behind they are very aggressive snake and very aggressive feeders they are no more aggress than any other snake feeding, I have a boa that is more aggress than most of my Retics when it comes to feeding so what does that tell you !! alot people say this who have never kept a Retic , most of the horror story's you heard are from years ago and most have never been proven. I have 10 Retics which 4 are WC the other 6 are CB out of the 10 2 are snappy!! . If the baby you are wanting is quite tame now then you should have no problem with him. Most Retics can be snappy at that age because in the wild they are seen as food by alot of animals due to there small size. The 8 that are tame are just as soppy as a corn !! Like I said the main thing is time if you have that then its not a problem.

couple more pics for you

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
My mums bfs sister used to keep a retic. He told me it was about 24ft. They never got an accurate measurement but that was their best guess.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks again for all the replies,
i have been keeping snakes for about 10 years, at the moment my largest snake is a female red tail boa, she is 9ft and i already insist on having another person present when i interact with her,
i would class myself an an experienced keeper but not an expert by any means, if i was an expert i wouldnt of needed to ask this question :wink:

im still putting alot of thought into it at the moment as its not a descision i would take lightly as it would be irresponsible for me to do so,

snakeseller, that is one gorgeous snake you got there mate, im very jealous :oops: :D

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks mate...... There shouldnt be a problem for you keeping a Retic , I have kept burms in the past from 2ft babies to a 17ft but there just not my thing....no offence to burm keepers.. :D One thing I will say is that Retics are alot more alert than most snakes!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats pretty much identical to the one i might be getting mate, your looks abit bigger but the same colours exactly, very nice :wink:
im more drawn towards the retic than the burm to be honest, i like the colours more and after seeing your pictures im even more drawn to them :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
10 years and you have a boa, i say go for it then, you seem responsible about it, you got advice before diving in, just make sure you have enough room for it and thats about it......

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
kwiky said:
im still putting alot of thought into it at the momen
Kwiky, my hunch is that you'll get one, by the looks of it :wink:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Firstly, I'll just say I've got next to no experience of large boids - but I've read that if kept in a large room-sized enclosure they are more likely to be aggressive as they become territorial, and that it's best to keep them in a large (e.g. 8x3x3) viv. The large viv would basically be considered to be like a hide box and then you get them out regularly for excercise.

Not sure what the more experienced keeper think of this??

I think if I was going to keep one this would be the method i'd chose. I just wouldn't fancy walking around a room sized viv cleaning up, with a hungry 20ft retic coiled in the corner :shock:

·
Registered
301 Posts
well they say you should keep them in vivs rather than having them roaming loose in a large open space unless its a zoo or something like that just because you can startle them easily by walking in.

thats how most burm accidents happen.ppl think there as tame as anything so they let them roam round in there living room,but as soon as something moves they get frightened and go into defence mode

1 - 20 of 40 Posts