Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hatchling originally, and got a small 6X11 heat mat with a 2 ft tank starter kit.

Now I have a near 4 ft corn snake, currently building a 3ft wooden tank for him.

For the last 3 week he's been on this mat and has been fine - eating/active etc. Temps have been fine.

Thing is, does a snake need to be able to expose all off his body to a heat mat to warm his blood, or just some of it and the warmth absorbed spreads throughout the rest of the body anyway? I'd say the like of bigger snakes need bigger mats, but does my corn really need it, considering he's okay with it now? Suppose I'm afraid too that the heat will be too much if I get a bigger one now that he's changing from a glass and mesh to an enclosed wooden... :?

If I have to buy a new heat mat I want it to do him forever, so what size do you recommend, considering that he will grow to a normal adult size at some stage.

Any advice appreciated, I just want to do what's best for him.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
if you havent got the mat on the stat and its just on all the time then more thought needs to go into it but generally i think a mat for snakes is to cover one third of the ground of the viv.

I think its best if they can get thier hole body on it ofcourse as they would heat up faster.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a mat stat yes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just been nosing around ebay too, any difference between Ultratherm and Habistat? Ultratherms are going cheaper...

I reckon 11X17 would be big enough for a 'forever' mat do you think? 3ft long tank like?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If the viv floor area is 36"x12" an 11x11 mat would be fine, if it's 18" deep or more then go for the 17x11.

Not too sure about the difference between habistat and ultratherm - there's basically two types of mat - I prefer the type that are solid black rather than the clear, "stripey" ones.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, youve been a great help.

So do snakes use the whole of their body to absorb heat or just a bit? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
optical illusion said:
So do snakes use the whole of their body to absorb heat or just a bit? Just curious.
I've noticed with two of my corns, after a feed they seem to just have the part of their body where the food is under the ceramic, with head and tail stretched out in other directions. So it looks like they are just heating a part of their body, at least in the time immeditely after a feed.

But I'd always give them a warm area large enough for them to get their whole body onto to be on the safe side.
E.g. with humans on a freezing cold day, warming your hands up makes you feel a bit warmer, but you don't feel properly warm until your whole body receives warmth - maybe not the best example but you get what I mean :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A good example I think, Mark :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts