Reptile Forums banner

How can I get my crestie to feed herself?

591 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  trogdorable 
#1 ·
After having my little crestie diagnosed with MBD and she also lost some weight the vet told me to syringe her CCF. She is doing extremley well and has now also started to eat Clarke's diet as well and is putting on weight nicely. She is much more energetic and has started jumping about again

My problem is that apart from when I hand feed or syringe her CCF she isn't feeding herself. She has clarke's available in her tank at all times but she just ends up walking in it! Does anyone have any tips to get her to feed herself? I know they only lick up a small amount but she is definiately not touching hers. She is going back to the vets tomorrow for a check up.

#2 ·
Well done on turning her around!

I would just start to increase the time between feeds - maybe by an hour each time?

Also mine don't often touch their food on the 1st day it is out - they seem to perfer it a little older :lol2:

May be worth thinking about some UV and a few dusted crickets?

:)

#3 ·
Hi Jubblies!!

I think all gecko's are really different in temperement. My cresty is a huge heffer and will snap your hand off for anything. However, she doesn't like old food and if I make her CGD too thin she doesn't touch it. She likes it really thick and fresh. She also adores banana, you could try leaving some mushed up banana in the viv for 48 hours and see if she tries that, otherwise add some honey to the food to sweeten it up.

Do you ever try her with waxies? It may be that you need to encourage her to eat from the bowl again, maybe drop a waxy in the bowl so she gets used to going there.....

#4 ·
Thanks! She is fussy she will only lick the clarkes diet if its slightly warm and made fresh, if I give it to her the next day she's not interested. I will try putting a wax worm in her viv to see if she will take that. I haven't given her crickets yet as I dont think she is able to catch them!

#6 ·
Hey, a BIG WELL DONE for turning her around =D

But im unsure what to suggest other than what has already been stated =/

#7 ·
actually its a long hard task...but have you tried spoon feeding your crestie, then once you have that established... moving the spoon into the viv, then moving the spoon out and replacing with a bowl?

also...what are you mixing... CGD with water or fruit and what brands/flavours have u tried!

#15 ·
actually its a long hard task...but have you tried spoon feeding your crestie, then once you have that established... moving the spoon into the viv, then moving the spoon out and replacing with a bowl?

also...what are you mixing... CGD with water or fruit and what brands/flavours have u tried!

ive tried this to get my crestie eating from a bowl , she'l eat a little bit off the spoon , but never out the bowl. iv sat and watched her rather than eat out of it , shel shove it off the edge and knock it over. she'l only eat if its just put on her fav branch or off a finger :lol2:

#8 ·
I have a male who when I got him was underweight and wouldn't eat. I put UV in and gave him a slightly higher temps.

I then left him alone. No handling apart from weighing and I found that once I reduced the handling and hand feeding he did start to eat by himself. It took a long time but in that time he didn't lose any weight. I also popped in various over ripe fruits to give him some variety.

I think sometimes we can fuss over them too much, which I'll admit I did in the beginning and all he wanted was peace and quiet lol

#10 ·
Yep....he's fine now with handling occasionally when I want to weigh him and although he'll never be a big boy he has gained some weight.

I think if an animal is unwell it is already stressed and really doesn't need to be hassled so much.

#12 ·
She is taking papaya clarke's at the moment, Repashy was a big no no and I wasted loads! She will just eat the clarkes as is.

I must admit I do fuss over her a bit as it has taken me (and her) a while to get where she is and I dont want her to go down hill again! I will try and leave her alone to see if she eats by herself and give her some different fruits etc. Where she has been unwell I love getting her out for a cuddle lol!

Thanks for all the advice guys its really appreciated. :notworthy:

#13 ·
Well you're not the first and won't be the last :lol2: It's very easy to want to fuss them. Personally if I'm ill I'm like a bear with a sore head and woe betide anymore who fusses over me..."just leave me alone" LOL

Also she has no reason to look for food when you take it straight to her mouth.

Good luck with her and I hope she's soon leaving her bowls empty :2thumb:

#14 ·
Glad that the little in has turned around c:

I have the hand feeding issue with a baby of mine that was sick, and now her sibling I hand fed just to make sure. If I put in a bowl it gets ignored, but if I take some out of the bowl they lick it off of my finger <3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.