Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in Dyscophus antongilii in captivity. How much do these guys go for? After reading they're becoming threatened it made me wonder if anyone breeds them.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any recommendations for websites? Pollywog has none.

Does anyone here keep them?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
tomato frog

i had a really nice tomato frog for sale a while ago he was amazing he looked like the pic you posted above. he was absolutly huge like fist size. lol lol

and i only sold him for £30.lol

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I know of nobody in the UK that breeds this species and sells them publically, but a few zoo's have them. If you see them on shops livestock lists they're very likely to be labelled wrongly, large female guineti can be quite colourful and i can see why people might get them confused but the antongilii really are stunning. They're a CITIES appendix 1 animal and were readily available until, well, i've not really seen them around since the mid 90's where they used to go for around the £60 mark. This is not to say that some antongilii aren't floating around, it's just it's highly unlikely. Maybe try the Hamm show?.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Having checked the Hamm website, there isn't anyone advertising them for sale, as suspected really. Gold dust...

Btw, all dyscophus are very sensitive animals and will only tolerate immaculately clean enclosures, for this reason i never feel they're suitable for beginners (despite them often being recommended as a 'beginner' anuran). Not that the original poster is a beginner, just i thought i'd include it to those who read this thread in the future and are thinking of getting this as a first amphibian.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I brought 2 Sambava Tomato frogs from polywog on Sunday for £50 from Kiddy. I'll post pics soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts