Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Sorry if this is a really stupis question but just how dangerous are DWA animals to humans??

I mean ive read the guidelines secure room,reinforced glass, etc.... but accidents do happen and im sure you all go to great lengths to ensure the safety of your animals,yourselves and the general public BUT if the worst was to happen how likely is a viper or cobra of some sort to attack your average person that stumbles across it??

I have noooo experience at all with snakes (well fed my brothers corn snake once but had to hold the pinky from a pair of BBQ tongs) and snakes fascinate me but scare me all at the same time so i apologise if its a REALLY stupid question but my son is getting interested in keeping reptiles at the moment so im sort of trying to get interested in them and am quite curious!

Thanks in advance

Joolz​

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well if I got bitten by a venomous snake I would be crapping my pants.
Good job I dont keep them. I would keep an alligator or some thing like a komodo dragon, but never something that's bite is designed to kill.
I hope this helps.
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
If you look at it this way... All the animals on the DWA lisence can and do have the potential to kill a person

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look at it this way... All the animals on the DWA lisence can and do have the potential to kill a person
Hmm i know if i went up to one like an idiot and started aggrevating it i would probably die :gasp: but would one go out of its way to attack a human or more likely to ignore and hide??

Bloody hell im gettign paranoid now, probably wont sleep tonight incase mi moggie attacks me :lol2:
Have any ever escaped from a private collection (mean reptiles more than big cats etc..)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I've never kept DWA so take this with a pinch of salt. Obviously idividual depending, but its not in their best interest to attack everything they see-waste of energy. But from the ones I've worked with, this rule didn't apply to many of them lol!
Most sensible people don't free handle their DWA stuff either, hooks only tends to be the rule. In the keepers and animals best interest tbh.
I don't think that since the act was put into place that any have escaped

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never kept DWA so take this with a pinch of salt. Obviously idividual depending, but its not in their best interest to attack everything they see-waste of energy. But from the ones I've worked with, this rule didn't apply to many of them lol!
Most sensible people don't free handle their DWA stuff either, hooks only tends to be the rule. In the keepers and animals best interest tbh.
I don't think that since the act was put into place that any have escaped
Well thats reassuring then! I assume DWA keepers are super careful and checked often to be sure everythings ok in their best interest to be careful.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
No they don't. Only two of the buthid scorpions on the list are attributed "mankillers"
Only one spider is fatal if untreated, and not all the snakes on the list will kill if not treated.

·
Registered
832 Posts
i would def recomemed beinbg very carful with DWA lmfao

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
No they don't. Only two of the buthid scorpions on the list are attributed "mankillers"
Only one spider is fatal if untreated, and not all the snakes on the list will kill if not treated.

Ah yeah sorry, forgot bout the buthids.

Still wouldnt fancy a sting lol!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that forum "expert" guidelines???

Well yeh as I'm obviously no expert on reptiles at all just curious I just read up on what I could find on here! Up until a few days ago I had no idea that people could just keep venemous snakes, didn't know they were available in the UK at all so I'm curious that my neighbour for example could have a room full of dangerous snakes and me not have a clue!

Not sayin it's wrong to own them, dare say I'm in more danger from my neighbours jack Russell but it does make you wonder!

·
Registered
615 Posts
i'd find it quite amuzing if my next door neighbours were keeping DWA's coz theyre both old biddies!:lol2:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good job I dont keep them. I would keep an alligator or some thing like a komodo dragon, but never something that's bite is designed to kill.
I hope this helps.
komodo bites are stupidly deadly arnt they? i think it was a doucmentry i watched about them theyre nt venomous just the bacteria from rotting meat they eat can kill a human within a means of hours literly being poisoned by the :censor: in theyre mouths correct me if im wrong just a quick memory flash?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
komodo bites are stupidly deadly arnt they? i think it was a doucmentry i watched about them theyre nt venomous just the bacteria from rotting meat they eat can kill a human within a means of hours literly being poisoned by the :censor: in theyre mouths correct me if im wrong just a quick memory flash?
This question came up on another thread, as I didn't think they were venomous either, probably due to the same programme. But apparently, fairly recent studies have shown them to have venom glands, along with other monitor lizards.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I hope this helps.
That is a distinct possibility with some bites.

·
Registered
20,204 Posts
I hope this helps.
All Crocodylidae have bites designed to kill as far as im aware. They use the power and sheer pressure of their jaws to break the bones and rip the prey apart to kill them quickly and easily without getting injured theirselves.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
And a komodo dragon's bite is designed to kill. Not to the same effect as a crocodile but it would still do some serious infected damage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hope this helps.
Sorry but arent most predators all designed to kill :lol2: coudl just be me, but i think komodos and alligators are definatly designed to kill
and im sorry but im probably wrong aswell but isnt it their saliva thts venomous? i thought i read taht somewhere

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just ment that snakes are small and extremely quick. Komodo dragons and alligator/crocodiles are bigger, so you can read there movements better. Well thats my opinion any way:2thumb:
You guys are 100% right, they are deadly!!!

1 - 20 of 199 Posts