Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently found out that my leopard gecko is partially blind due to its morph. I am extremely worried for her and don't know how to feed her and generally make her happy. Any help on those or any other matter that might help will be greatly apreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
depends how blind, it would be intresting to see what she does when you put a waxy infront of her, like how long till she notices n how long it takes for her to eat it and go for it etc, itll give a good idea of how bad it is

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meal worm

I put a meal worm infront of her and she just walked over it and ignored it about 6-7 times, but then I prodded it a bit and she noticed it. First she licked it a few times then she went for it and missed about 3 times, Finaly she grabbed it and ate it.
Thank you so much.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Leo

hi there if she is blind you will need to feed her by hand or in a pot, the pot method works put a mix of food in the pot like meal worms,marios, odd wax worm
and place the food pot in the same place every time first of you will need to help her to find it but she will get use to were it is and do it herself.
i would change onto cockroaches as a food item be easy to feed her them by hand to her i would google loads of info on the net

hope this helps

Paul

·
Registered
446 Posts
my tremper albino is blind, but luckily she still has sight for a little while when I got her and Ive never moved her mealworm bowl so she knows where that is, but what I do now to get her eating some crickets is to (sounds horrific) cut their legs off and dab them with waxworm juice, she'll sniff her way to them, lick them and then eat! its time consuming but better than her starving!

and her little smile makes it worth while :)

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I've had and still got a few blind leos, they are easy to care for, don't rearrange the viv to much, but still give them stimulation and things to explore. Feeding wise I offer mine food from tweezers at feeding time. I also stick a pot of mealworms in there, always the same spot and they are sometimes taken and sometimes not.

if you decide to feed from tweezer you may have to put the meal worm near their mough to get them to open and then place it in as mine lunges miles away from the food.

jay

·
Registered
46 Posts
as i found with my gecko as time went on she got very clever and used her hearing and vibration when feeding, she will hunt down her food, often banging oo much.her nose but apart from that shes cool. you will find as time goes on your leo will get really good at living with her bad eyes. good luck and dont worry t

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Thank you do much everybody, you've all been so helpful and I've tried a few of the methods out and they've worked!!! Once again thank you so much.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
My little blind lady can see but iI think she is very badly blind (some numpty moved the eggs in the incubator so she if deformed) I find to get her interested in the food, i get the tweezers hold the livefood item and and drap it along the kitchen roll substrate....this was she can purley use her hearing!

as for cage decor try not to move anything around to much...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only problem I'm getting at the moment is she licks the meal worms and then leaves them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts