Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm buying a baby (about 16 inch long by the look of it, but was curled round a branch) Jungle carpet next weekend from the Reptile Room in Cleveleys, Blackpool as it's only down the road.

I have a small aquarium at home approx 14" x 9" x 9", which with three sides covered with wood and a proper top would make a nice viv for my baby snake.

As long at the tank is suitable, which I think it is, then I'll just use that to save cash.

The only other things I will need are a heat mat, water bowl and 2 hides. I think. I have been told that light is not too important as long as there is light in the room.

My concern is how do I get a gradient in such a small viv??? And is a basing spot (light) necessary?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just incase I was a little unclear I am talking about temperature gradient.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
i get a nice gradient in small conteco boxes which are about a foot long usung the narrowest heat mat under one end with stat set to 88F,probe taped on the mat and room temp at around 74F. suitable for boas so should work for a carpet.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks,

My only concern with taping the sensor to the mat (which I assume is all under the viv) is that you are not actually controlling the temp in the viv, but the temp of your heat mat.

Surely this means any change in the ambient temperature will have an effect on the viv temp???

I may be wrong but thats what I would of thought.

Either way I'll be setting the viv up a week before and testing all this until I get it just right.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anybody tell me whether I will need a basking spot in such a small tank??

thanks

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Im Not sure mate, As a heat lamp would defernetly make it difficult to create a gradient. Heatmats would be more suitable, wit the sheer size of your viv.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh id thought the vivs a bit small for a light bulb, however if you use a dimmer stat you could put both the mat and bulb on that and itll control it fine, you could use a small 25 watt bulb....

I think best to just use a heat mat though, or just a very low wattage ceramic bulb.

in the case of a mat, just sit the mat under 1/3 of the viv and you should get the required temps, mess around the stat sensor to find the best place to put it, if you have a digital thermometer it makes things a lot quicker and easier to measure the temps.

whoa ok hang on....its you lol..sorry i thought this was new [thought it was a coincidence, 2 carpets in as many threads... jeez lol..
i didnt realise your viv was so small though to be honest from the last post... not dissin however.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DEAN&TRESE

Thanks for the reply, but I actually abandoned that viv (which was a fish tank) and bought a little viv.

I have got the gradients okay now with help from a few helpful guys on here including yourself.

Thanks all for the help!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts