Reptile Forums banner

How do I get everything right in a 4x2x2 beardie viv?

842 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  atnas666 
#1 ·
I have recently got a new viv. The last one I got came from a breeder already set up so that it was perfect temps so can someone please tell me how to get the temps correct for both ends? I am having to split my beardies as turns out that they are not all girls so would really appreciate any help so that I can just go and get what is needed (in general) and then maybe have to tweak a little instead of having to start from scratch and keep messing up as dont want my beardies to suffer!:bash: Thanks for any help or advice. I have an arcadia 12% D3 plus reflector on order for the UVB but need the temps right at both ends.....

#2 ·
Hellloooo. How noble of you to think ahead :notworthy:

Annnywho temps can depend overall on the temperature of your house. If you have a very cold house, then go for a 100w bulb with a heat matt connected to a thermostate in case it gets below ideal temperatures. I am using a 75w and keeps the tank at perfect temps as my house is sort of in the middle temperature wise and there is a radiator below the tank which they LOVE lol. There is no way unfortunately for me or any other owner to tell you exactly how to keep the temps up to an optimum level. Use your judgement but personally I would start with a 75w bulb and see where you go from there. Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice, mine is a middle type house too so will go and get a 75w and 100w bulb tomorrow and see how it works out. Have got a heat mat and stat which I am guessing is to set incase it gets too cold at night? Does the mat go in the cool end or the warm end?

#4 ·
The heat matt goes in the warm area. Give your beardie somewhere to shelter in the hot and cool area so they can pick and choose where to sleep- they do prefer to curl up somewhere dark. Also yeah the thermostat will come on when the temperatures drop just to make sure the tank does stay warm like it would do at night time in the desert. Hope this helps!

#8 ·
the thermostat works the other way round. The thermostat is there to stop the viv getting too hot; you set the maximum temperature on the dial, position the probe in the right place and when it gets to the right heat it turns the power to the bulb down and dims the bulb. Once the heat gets cooler the thermostat increases the heat to the bulb.

#5 ·
I'm going to change my advice here and say that a 100w will be a bit too strong. As it is only 2ft high its not really high enough away from the beardie. May I suggest the 75 w only and perhaps slightly higher if available in your pet shop.

#6 ·
You may find you don't need the heat mat if your house is ok. In my 4x2x2 I have a 60w on the hot end wall pointing down about 15" from the basking spot, and a 40w in the middle of viv ceiling angled towards the hot end wall which provides a stable basking spot 110f and he can get a little closer if he wants an the hot end stays around 95 in the shade cool end at 82f with the stat probe at the cool end.

I don't use a heat mat but instead have several large rocks in the viv that get warm when lights are on and keep the viv warm at night.

Importan thing is to get it set up and working for a few days before you put your bd in as you don't want to stress him by fiddling with temps he'll be annoyed enough by the move (unless its urgent due to fighting.)

Remember bulbs and holders are cheaper at b&q just make sure holders are rated for the bulb you use.:2thumb:

Hth good on you for planning ahead. :no1:

#7 ·
I'd agree about ditching the heat mat. You don't really need one, unless the night time temperature is dropping below about 16C.

I've got a 150W ceramic heater connected to a ministat 300 thermostat. The stat probe is in the warm end, but not directly under the heater. It is set up by placing a thermometer in the basking area and gradually altering the setting on the thermostat until the right temperature is reached. I have around 40C in this area (it was a little warmer when Hagrid was younger). The cool end with these settings is usually around 31C.

It doesn't matter too much if you have a slightly higher power ceramic, as the stat keeps it under control. If you are underpowered, it can take a while for the heat to build up.

The basking spot is between 8-12 inches from the 12% UV strip light.

I should add that my viv is a bit of an odd shape, as it's one I built myself to fit in a particular space in the house. It's 50" x 18" x 19". I'd like a bit more width, but on the plus side, the slightly longer and narrower shape helps with setting up a temperature gradient.

#10 ·
with out sounding unhelpful but if the viv is the same size as the other why not look and see what watt bulb etc is in the viv u all ready have set up... if not i agree with what has already been said
I didn't think of this! :no1:

#12 ·
Thanks for all of your replies.... sadly it is bigger than the other one and I tried setting it up the same but the hot spot was only getting up to 30-35 so I thought that I would pick everyones brains on here and make use of the knowledge that is available through the forum.:notworthy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.