Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i have been giving my tortoise a bit of everything that grows in my garden however how can i be sure that it is all ok for him i mean it is quite difficult knowing the different varieties of weeds!! not sure on garden hedge either?? i had someone tell me that a flower called calendula can be eaten is this true?? at the moment he eats everything he has been given and he seems to be getting healthier everyday, ie he seems more active and he emptys his bowels regular so is there any advice as i just want to be sure i am not doing him any harm!! advice from wizzasmum and kerrypudge would be sooper dooper!! also anyone else who thinks they can help, thankyou !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
dont know a huge amount about tortoises, but assuming you know that dandelions are great for them, the leaves and the flowers, as long as you make sure theres no chance of chemicals being on them.

the easiest thing to do, i'd imagine, is go pick all the weeds you have in your garden, identify them by looking in a book (most libraries have really good ones), then once you've found their common and scientific names, have a look on a list of edible plants, (theres loads about)

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
the natural history museum website go to the plant section,and theres a bit where you type in your postcode and it tells you whats growing in your area.you can then identify what your feeding to the tort.clover,dandelion leaves and plantain gets fed to our hermanns tort.the shelled warriors website has a section that helps as well.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Firstly I would say never, ever give your tortoise a food from the garden without checking it is OK. The myth that tortoises will not eat anything that is bad for them is just that , a myth!
Secondly I wuold say go to Tortoises where you will find a list of plants that are edible to tortoises. Many good guides will tell you what is edible to humans but not tell you of the dangers to torts.
Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts