Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing an assigment, and I have to write about how a knife fish finds food.. Just thought I would ask the fish keepers how they do it? PMS or replies will be very much appreciated.. Thank you:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I believe knifefish generate elctricity to locate prey, in a similar way to Mormyrids. They basically generate a short wave pulse, and it reracts off objects in the Knife-fishes environment in different ways, allowing the fish to identify prey.

Their sense of smell is again very acute, as with most fish...

I don't actually know a great deal about them- I love 'em but I've never kept them...

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much... Despite the fact you apparently dont know much about them, it has helped alot thank you :):2thumb:: victory:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I've worked with a few different species- trouble is I have never had the space for my Congo River tank, and as a result have never actually kept them. They are very cool fish tho

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
They are also nocturnal ambush predators, and very efficient at it- I accidently sold an African Knife-fish to a customer who had a shoal of neons- no neons the following day, but she loved the knife-fish so much she came back in for 2 more...

·
Registered
635 Posts
If i was you i wouldn't use knifefish as a general terms. I would either research new world knifefish(Gymnotoidei) or old world knifefish(Notopteridae). If you wanna make it easer research old world as theres much less species.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It was always explained to me that is was a kind of fish "radar"..no more specific than that. Used to keep ghost knife fish without a problem.
I do know that their eyesight is very poor, so much so that you can put a clear plastic tube in the tank, and they will sense it, and "hide" inside it, but still be visible. Probably not much help, but "every little helps" !!

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I do know that their eyesight is very poor, so much so that you can put a clear plastic tube in the tank, and they will sense it, and "hide" inside it, but still be visible. Probably not much help, but "every little helps" !!
I have heard of this happening before.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a 3ft Clown knife and he was an excellent hunter, Would only take live when bought but I changed him over to frozen. He would slowly sweep the tank sensing the movement of prey until he would hover right ext to it then...

boom...a sharp exhale to stun and imediatley a suck to draw the fish in.

One of the most fantastic fish to keep.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have a clown knife and a black ghost

the black ghost comes out and goes crazy over the substrate after the food sweeping up whatvever it can whereas the clown knife must see whats in the tank as he takes cichlid floaters off the top and goes for the catfish pellets from the bottom!!

Oddly he won;t take lancefish or prawn or anyting like that which is frustratin and I;ve had him almost 2 yrs!!!

agre with Mr Chimps though a sight to behold when that big mouth drwas the food in its huge and mines only 16 inch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts