Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys how do probes work i dont know the sex ov mine but i was told hissyfit is male and baby is a girl and im happy with that i wont be breeding so i dont need to get them probed im just curious and i suppose a wee bit nosey

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Probing works as there is a difference between the depths of the opening in males and females. You place the probe in the cloaca and count how many scales deep the probe will go to before it meets resistance.
The actual depths vary by species but males always probe deeper than females.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The probing should be conducted really careful, becaues it is rather easy to injure the animal.. The best way to go, is to look when somebody experianced is probing, and learn from that..

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds a wee bit painfull for the snake and not very nice for the person who is doing it :sick: i think i am sure i dont wanna know now. I can see why people want to do this if they are looking to breed but why if they are not going to breed is there a medical reason or something. If not for breeding it just seems a bit unnessiasry (my spelling is shite sorry) am i missing something by not doing it apart from callin my male a female and vice versa its not as if they are ging to get a complex or something :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
491 Posts
bbsf said:
sounds a wee bit painfull for the snake and not very nice for the person who is doing it :sick: i think i am sure i dont wanna know now. I can see why people want to do this if they are looking to breed but why if they are not going to breed is there a medical reason or something. If not for breeding it just seems a bit unnessiasry (my spelling is shite sorry) am i missing something by not doing it apart from callin my male a female and vice versa its not as if they are ging to get a complex or something :lol: :lol:
Just name your snake with some unisex-name.. Don´t worry, if you do not intend to breed, you don´t have to know.. 8)

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to probe or not to probe that is the question :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
The actual act of probing is very quick (ie less than 60 seconds) and isn't painfull for the snake when done properly.

The way it is described makes it sound much worse than it is.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but what does it do to improve the snakes life like i said before if you want to breed then ok but if not then whats the point how could you live with yourself if you got it done and because you are being nosey and your snake was harmed by it like i said again whats the point

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
It's only done to sex the snake.

It should only be done by someone with experience. Once you know what you're doing it's actually very easy and experienced people tend not to make mistakes pushing too hard.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Probing is easy when you know how.. as retic said it takes no time at all.. probe in.. measure... pull out.. then same on the otherside..

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i posted a thread on here about it a few months back, read that and you may be ok... well its a video actually

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont want to know what sex my snakes are as i wont be breeding this started as me being nosey asking how u probe now im kinda annoyed after looking for the do's and dont's of getting your snake probed i now think unless its for a medical reason or you are going to breed then i think its cruel to the snake as accidents can and will happen and what for so you can give a snake an appropriate name for the sex of it

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I only probe for breeding purposes... which for me means every snake.. yes there can be accidents but if done properly there isnt. I learnt by myself and have only been able to do it now for about 3 months but have probed everyone of my snakes without a problem.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I have seen a snake probed and beleive me it is a simple procedure and took the guy about 30 seconds.

And bear in mind when buying a common boa, retic or Burmese you would want to know its sex before you bought it so even though not breeding there is still a reason to know the sex of a snake.

I think that looking at it as a cruelty issue is a bit strong.

Only my opinion though.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when i said its cruel i meant just because you wanted to know what sex it was i looked up on it and when some1 who knows what they are doing says that they have seen a lot of snakes being injured by probing and then needing an opperation to fix the problem then i think i can safely say i think it is cruel i wouldnt like sumthing shoved up my ass so that my owner can tell if i am male or female so that they can give me an approiate name that fits my sex as i said if you are looking to breed then ok i can see why but just out of curiosity then i think its unnesisary and yes cruel but this is my opinion and every1 has 1

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i thought that to get a snake probed it had to be at least a few months old and the whole male/female size thing isnt a good idea as no1 knows the size of the snake you can only give a rough estimate anyway so the probing to see how big your snake will grow will not be accurate

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Agreed it won't be accurate but considering there can be a big size difference you can hardly ignore it.

And prehaps the guy who knew what he was doing should of been probibng the snakes and not watching the other guy(s) who didn't know what they were doing and injured snakes.

I don't have loads of experience but would say that it must be possible to probe snakes without injury.

Anyway I don't know enough about this topic to be getting anymore involved ao will take a back seat from here unless I need to reply to a reply.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts