Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
As most of you know, I recently bought a Bibron's gecko. The reptile guy in the pet shop SEEMED to know what he was doing, but he probably didn't :p ! He told me that it was a female. I really like the species and was thinking of having a group of 2 females and a male. But so I know what sex mine is and what sexes the ones in the shop are when I buy them, I need to know first accturly how to sex a Bibron's gecko. Can you sex them the same as leopard geckos? Any help would be appreciated!

I'm assuming thorrshamri knows something, so help from you would be great mate! Advice on breeding is also happily welcomed!

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AnthonyY said:
The sexes lack obvious external distinctions, such as femoral pores. Males are heavier in build, more aggressive and have an enlarged tail base caused by the hemipenes - the best way of sexing them :D
Lol, caught you, you copied that, I saw that on a website when I googled the topic :wink: ! But on other websites I read that they do have pores, that's why I'm confused and am asking!

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'll have a closer look tommorow, I don't want to disturb HER (I think!) while she is hunting :) . Her tail is quite thin, so I'm thinking that she IS definatly female. Anyway, what your saying is that if he/she is male is that he/she would have a bulge at the base of his/her tail (testicals?) and the tail would be relitivly bulky?

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I didn't I'm afraid, got her at Bad Shot Lea garden centre. They have a MASSIVE pet section, there staff seemed to know what they were doing but I just want to be sure I got a female like he said!

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hey man...i havent a clue, u prolly already did but if not why dont u pm thor.?

good luck with the gecko

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hehe, forgot to do that, I have done it now though :p !

Thx
Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts