Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People,

Just got 3 baby rats and know that you need to teach tricks at a young age but don't know how to go about it.

How do you teach them?

Thanks
Em Pem:flrt:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll try that tonight!

What treats do you recomend? They don't seem interested in things like carrot pieces!

Thanks
Em Pem

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
What treats do you recomend? They don't seem interested in things like carrot pieces!
If I was a rat I wouldn't do tricks to earn a carrot piece! :lol2: That's boring, normal food.

You need to keep a special, really tasty food purely for working with them, something that they never get to eat unless you are training them. That way they'll be excited about what they are getting and want to do what you are asking them to do. Things like yoghurt drops, but whatever it is only a tiny piece, not a big chunk, otherwise they'll spend more time eating and 'working'

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
yes you can i taught my rats how to do a flip and walk on its two legs .
you get a treat or some thing and hold it up on the air and move it slowly away from the rat he or she will walk

Do a flip? Lmfaoo

Sure sure:lol2:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
It depends what you want to teach them. I taught my old rat how to run a mini assault course. Rats like to run into dark places so I was taught to place a box with some treats in at the end of whatever you want them to do and then they go over the course to get to the box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts