Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
prepare your snakes food? Wanting to know peoples experience, tips and tricks from feeding rats/mice i.e. heating them up, defrosting etc. Any info would be good.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
I defrost at room temperature during the day and then either use a hair drier or put in a sandwich bag in some hot water (so that it stays dry and no scent is washed off) to warm. Super-heating the head for striking purposes.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
defrost in warm water then open the lid, nothing else needed with my lot.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
horses for courses mate.....
some snakes like it done at room temperature and dry.....
others don't care what it's like (dipped in hot water...lol)......seriously.....that's what I have found.
Have to see what your one prefers
my grandad always says that "horses fr courses and dogs for track"

Back to the point though. Room temp does it for me!

·
Registered
235 Posts
i just defrost in a cup of boiling water for a few hours. then put in a tub on top of the fire or radiator to warm them while i get the snakes tanks open ready. they eat no probs, never rejected them yet.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I put mine in a sandwich bag a put in warm water (keeping topping the water every 10-15 mins so it dont cold) for about an hour maybe a little longer and then feed, my snake dont care weather it wet or dry still smells aswell if you do it in warm water. works fine for me

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hot water for me out the tap, been doing it 17 years, never had a problem. It takes 2 mins for a pinky 10 mins for a large mouse, half hour for a rat. When the water gets cool i put more hot inn.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wondering as mine is off her food and I've been heating up the rat in boiling water. I thought maybe I'd warmed it up too hot.

·
Banned
5,833 Posts
Just wondering as mine is off her food and I've been heating up the rat in boiling water. I thought maybe I'd warmed it up too hot.
winter mate....only start worrying if it's been 6 months or so:lol2:
although you don't want them "hot"....should be same as your body.....roughly....they eat mammals after all
Paul

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
defrost at room temp, then dunk in a bit of warm water just before feeding

·
Registered
17,332 Posts
I defrost at room temp...take them out in morning!! then i do the same as Blackecho....heat them up in warm water in a sealed bag!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
mines in a faunarium in a viv so i put the pinkies on faunarium in the viv and they warm up to body tempreture. though now im moving the snake into the viv ille put them in an air tight plastic box in the viv to heat up.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i take mine out of the freezer and leave in the rep room to defrost , nice and warm in there all the time

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
most time just defrost at room temp, get out in morning then feed at night somtimes defrost in hot water if im pushed for time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts