Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a large enclosure but its a 40watt mat. i put it on the floor without a stat but it only gets warm to the touch do i need to place somthing ontop of it?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
what animal is it for? warm to the touch dosent mean anything it could still be too hot/cool you really need a stat

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
you can get a stat for about £25, and set it to the correct temp for whatever animal you are using it for. my corns mat hardly feels warm at all, but its the right temp. if its too hot the critter wont go on it, so wont be thriving

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
i dont know anything about iggys, google for a caresheet or something and it will tell you correct temps. and PLEASE get a stat:2thumb:

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
How long have you had it on for? It could take a few hours for the heat to distribute around the enclosure.

I don't keep lizards but have 3 mats, 2 are 8 watt and one is 16 watt. They have raised their respective enclosures of different sizes by 5C

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
No, it's not the right heat source for an iguana at all.

Heat mats do not heat the air, they heat objects that are on them.

What you really need - especially for an enclosure that size - is basking lamps or a ceramic heat lamp, with guards so your iguana doesn't burn itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts