Reptile Forums banner

Is being able to handle your animals important to you?

• Yes, I only keep handleable animals

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • I have some I can handle and some I don't

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • I only handle any of my animals when necessary

Votes: 10 14.1%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered what peoples thoughts on this were as I really only handle any of my animals if I have to and prefer to just observe them doing their own thing.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already answers before I'd finished the poll questions.....I'm impressed :lol2:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
its nice to handle but its not a must

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hia all, I

It is nice to handle snakes, but not always in the snakes intrest.

I handle most of mine except my tri-colour hognose and only handle when putting him in his feeding RUB.
If you handle him he his always rattleing his tail, and not happy so I do not handle him like my other snakes.

Some of my snakes like only a few mins handleing at a time my Boa will stop with you all day, corns don't mind either.
Depends what mood Ratsnakes are in as to how long I handle them.

slither61 :snake::snake::snake::snake:

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
if a snake is totally acclimated to people, it doesn't stress them....i believe it enriches them. when they start roaming i believe letting them out to explore satisfies them....in the wild they are always investigating things not having food just delivered to them. they follow a genetic program that controls there behavior. and besides, how many people actually have a cage as big as their natural range? a corn moves around more than a few inches or feet on a regular basis in the wild, doesn't it? captivity doesn't take away their wildness....snakes are adaptable. it's what helps them survive. how many years have say, colubrids been around in north america??...a few years i bet...think of all the changes a kingsnake has seen as a species......i bet a sabre-tooth tiger ate one one day 20,000 years ago. if they can handle an ice age, they can handle you taking them out for a stroll. now, i know that some species are better at this than others but hopefully, you get my drift!!:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have some I handle and some I dont. My monkey tails are generally hands off as they really dont like being picked up in the slightest; however, my 2 mellow males will sometimes come out and climb about on me, or get handfed. I much prefer watching them do their own thing than disturbing them. My tegu is my hands on "pet", as he doesnt seem to mind interacting with people; we let him out to roam around, and when he wants to he will come over and bother us :) It can be painful but fun at the same time when he tries to climb up into your lap!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I like to handle my reps but if they dont like it then I dont bother. The only things I reguarly handle are my cresties and leos who come to me by their own will. Collards and Chams are occasionally handled but you can tell they dont like it as much! And the dragon, it all depends what day it is with her. Sometimes she will climb on me, othertimes hiss at me

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
P much all my collection are handleable, but with a large collection it's not always practical to handle them all, so therefore I handle when necessary (Giving weekly soaks and cage cleans to Blood Pythons etc) And some of the others just every now and then to keep them used to me working with them

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I like to be able to handle my snake and lizards but the inverts I leave alone to do their own thing.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
i do like to handle my reps but my turtles do not like to be picked up
linda

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I love handling my reps but I also love agressive ones, suppose Im just weird really!lol
Ben

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hmm.. most of our lizards are handleable... not so much the occelated skinks, dwarf sungazers and 3 of the leos..owever the leos will be worked on until they are as i know they "can and prolly should be" whereas the sungazers and occelateds im not so sure or bothered about handling.
The long tail lizards i dont expect to be handleable to any extent.
The oplurus cuvieri... [madagascan spinytail iggys] are really skittish atm and we will go VERY slowly with them but hope to have them atleast semi handlebale within 6 months like our oplurus cyclurus is [similar species]

everything else we have is handleable and we do prefer it, if however they showed that they didnt want to be then thats fine [although i woouldnt allow it from an iguana...monitor or a beardie as i believe that handling or atleast having them "chilled out" is in everybodies best interest.

Posting this i realise we have more reps we dont handle than i realised lol, the eyed lizard is semi handleable, perfectly fine to be stroked and hand fed etc but soon jumps out of reach if we pick her up..again thats fine...and erm..the tokays... well...we will see on that one atm they are look dont touch..

hmm..i guess it isnt that important then lol

ok i sound liek i dont handle any of our reps now lol, i should point out that we DO have perfectly handleable
1 bosc
4 beardies
1 uromastyx
2 rankins dragons
11 leos
1 oplurus cyclurus
2 fiji iggys [ok, they are a bit reluctant often]
3 collard lizards [ok one is a little moody sometimes but handlable]
soem cresties and a garg [they ar eonly little and dont get buged too much]
and the corns, cali king and royal.
oh..and the 2 berber skinks who love attention and handling ,they are lovely little guys.

edit
BAD DEAN, BAD DEAN FORGETTING STAR THE WATER DRAGON bad me sorry, she is fine and hanldeable.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I answered the first but only because I only have a tiny collection.
Top of my wish list is an ETB which I know will probably not be handleable so it wouldn't bother me if I had both.
depends on the anmal and whether they are happy being handled or not, I leave it to them.....I've just got my female rtb out and she was on a log on the floor, I was cleaning water bowl etc and she just came over and coiled herself up in my lap......I would say she wanted the contact.If she hadn't of come over I would have just popped her back in!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts