Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering i got a new leo on sat shes in a viv on her own, but she wont eat, was wondering how long i should leave her to settle for before getting really worries about not eating?

·
Registered
50 Posts
your gecko

I there i am in the same boat as you got my first leo on the 3rd and he has really only started to come round.
I have had some really good advice on here all i can say it takes a little time i know its hard as you want to see your leo eating and happy.

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
As every leo is different, it`s impossible to say how long an individual will take to fully settle really. It can depend on how stressed they feel after the journey and what the actual journey was like, how old they are, what their personalities are naturally like (skittish, nervous or chilled?), lots of varying factors really.

Some leos settle (eat, poop, calm down and show interest in everything) the same day they go to a new home/environment, most leos can take a few days to a few weeks to settle, and there are even those that can take upto a month to fully settle down unfortunately. It`s all natural, and shouldn`t normally be a cause for concern unless there are other clues and give aways, that there may be more to the matter then simply settling down.

As long as you new leo looks in good health generally, is active/alert and has a nice stock pile of energy in reserve (ie a plump enough tail) then they will usually cope with re-settlement easily enough. It won`t harm at all - and will be of benefit to yourself simply for peace of mind - to get a poop sample tested either at a vets or through an online lab (Pinmoore). At least that way, you can rule out parasites, bacterial infections and anything else that may be a reason other than settling why she`s not eating yet.
I honestly wouldn`t start to worry at all in the first week, though I`d have concerns if she showed no interest in eating in her second - if it went on longer than that, then I`d make a point of ruling every other possibility out.

How long has it been since you got her/him btw?

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
ditto as Funky says
ermm reading the posts Emma90 got theirs on Saturday and Gkb2005 got theirs on the 3rd :whistling2::lol2:

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
as SleepyDee and Funky1 say, absolutely nothing to worry about. They're just settling in is all. Just ensure all temps are correct, they have food, water and shelter and they should come round soon. Also try and let them alone as if you handle them during the settling in period it can also cause stress.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got her on saturday she's 1 and a half and is a good weight, she has had a poo and is wondering around the viv exploring, she just doesnt seem interested in food.

As every leo is different, it`s impossible to say how long an individual will take to fully settle really. It can depend on how stressed they feel after the journey and what the actual journey was like, how old they are, what their personalities are naturally like (skittish, nervous or chilled?), lots of varying factors really.

Some leos settle (eat, poop, calm down and show interest in everything) the same day they go to a new home/environment, most leos can take a few days to a few weeks to settle, and there are even those that can take upto a month to fully settle down unfortunately. It`s all natural, and shouldn`t normally be a cause for concern unless there are other clues and give aways, that there may be more to the matter then simply settling down.

As long as you new leo looks in good health generally, is active/alert and has a nice stock pile of energy in reserve (ie a plump enough tail) then they will usually cope with re-settlement easily enough. It won`t harm at all - and will be of benefit to yourself simply for peace of mind - to get a poop sample tested either at a vets or through an online lab (Pinmoore). At least that way, you can rule out parasites, bacterial infections and anything else that may be a reason other than settling why she`s not eating yet.
I honestly wouldn`t start to worry at all in the first week, though I`d have concerns if she showed no interest in eating in her second - if it went on longer than that, then I`d make a point of ruling every other possibility out.

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,619 Posts
Thats ok. About par for the course really. Adult Leos with good fat reserves can manage to go for weeks without eating. Her exploring is a good sign, just leave her in peace, offer a selection of foods, make sure the temperatures are right in the viv (should be 88-90F on the floor of the warm side, mid seventies on the cool side) and she should eat when she is ready. If she hasn't eaten in another week or so then it is time to start looking for other possible reasons. Don't worry yet :)

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
try stabbing the food and squeezing out some guts ( i know i know dont sound nice) but i couldnt get one of mine to eat untill i dont that and she turnt into a wild beast, she wents nuts actually quite scary lol she was jumping all over the place.:lol2:

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
ditto as Funky says

ermm reading the posts Emma90 got theirs on Saturday and Gkb2005 got theirs on the 3rd :whistling2::lol2:
:blush: oh yeah - shoulda gone to specsavers as they say!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i tried again to feed her tried a mealie, a locust and wax worm, she licks them but wont eat them, she will happily let me stroke her and shes wondering round the viv exploring new hides, are there any reasons she might not want to eat?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
If the temps and such are all correct, then she is still prolly settling in

Also, some geckos dont eat if people look at them...one of mine used to be like that...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all temps are fine, she only comes out of hides if i talk to her, iv left a bowl of mealie in there and she wont eat them either so its not cos im there.

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
i tried again to feed her tried a mealie, a locust and wax worm, she licks them but wont eat them, she will happily let me stroke her and shes wondering round the viv exploring new hides, are there any reasons she might not want to eat?
As explained - she`s prob settling in. In all seriousness, the very best thing you can do (anyone can do) for a new leo that has to readjust to a new home - new sights, smells and surroundings - is to leave it completely alone for around a week. Obv, that`s really hard as anyone just getting a new lush leo wants to get it out, look at it etc, but there is plenty of time for all that over the next 15 yrs....

Just put her a bowl of mealies in, poss a couple of appropriate locust, make sure she has clean water, moist hide and clean substrate - and just let her settle. I can guarantee you 99% positively, that she will come around perfectly well of her own accord, in her own time.

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,619 Posts
Very wise words from funky1

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mines only eaten once since i got him.
Been told he was housed the other gecko's so i'm guessing he is wondering why's he's on his own

·
Registered
235 Posts
got my leo sat night and had a bowl of mealies today whilst at work, havent seen much of him tho, been in his hides ever since i got him

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
she was housed on her own and shes on her own now, im even using the same bowl to feed mealies as previous owner but she still isn't eating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts