Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok iv handled corn snake for the 2nd time now. he still seems a bit shy and trys to get away from me by hiding under the covers. i feel unloved. i pick him up and let him run over hand and run over the bed. how many handling sessions does it take for him to be tame and possibly come to me instead of me coming to him!?

how long did it take you?

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Snakes don't like being handled, they just tolerate it. It's never going to be a pet that jumps into the palm of your hand the minute you hold it out.

Handle it daily, except for 48 hours after being fed, for 10-15 minutes at a time, hopefully then it'll realize you're not a threat to it and it'll become a bit more tolerant of handling.

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
Snakes don't like being handled, they just tolerate it. It's never going to be a pet that jumps into the palm of your hand the minute you hold it out.
My russians do :) So do the trinkets :) .... and the radiateds are keen to rush over and bite it :D

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
My russians do :) So do the trinkets :) .... and the radiateds are keen to rush over and bite it :D
:lol2: There's always the exception to the rule! Have to admit my amel hunts my hand down straight away but i'm sure that's just because it's oh so fond of trying to cut off the circulation in my thumb :(

·
Registered
347 Posts

Handle it daily, except for 48 hours after being fed, for 10-15 minutes at a time, hopefully then it'll realize you're not a threat to it and it'll become a bit more tolerant of handling.

Couldnt of said it better, ghostface always seems to answer all the questions first lol.

Luke: victory:

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
lol the famous rock python...... hmm i dont think that could be tamed first of all its dead lol although if you get hatchlings i know of a few people who keep them.. some on here and they think they are great! but as said before a snake cant be tamed it will jusy tollerate it! good luck and pics if ya get bit :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I had a psycho female albino burmese (baby thank God) in December that wasn't eating properly and she was as vicious as Hell. She would strike half a dozen times before the box was open. After 3 weeks of handling 2 or 3 times a day, she is now very placid and one of my nicer snakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts