318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long should it take for a viv to get up to temperature? around 82 degrees f

thanks.....tomgriffin :wink:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The viv is one of those plastic jobs cant remember the name, it is 450mm, 300mm, 180mm (length,width,height) and the

The room temp is 18 degrees C

It is a heatmat (underneath the viv by 1/3) connected to a habistat temperature controller

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you set fire to it, about 48 seconds.........

Whats the size.......what are you using to heat it..........how warms you house or room already.........

From the size you put, not too long. Strange question though, are you battling to heat it?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, its been hard trying to keep it at a constant heat, but i believe i had put too much substrate in :oops: i shall monitor the temp over the next 2 hours

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The probe is in the corner of the viv just burying into the substrate

please tell me this is right :oops:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yes.

The probe should be in the warm end on top of the mat but insode the viv.

This way you are controlling the warmest the floor can get to. You will need to ensure that the air temp is also getting to the desired range.

If you are struggling with air temps but the ground is at 90 degrees or something then you may have to reduce the ventilation to achieve because the air must not be getting chance to warm up before leaving the viv/tub.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
From the size, it sounds like you have a large, flat exo terra, or a contico.

I've got an exo terra, I found it tricky to raise the ambient with all the vetilation the lids give.

Try raising the room temp for a start - 18c is low, so if you can get to low 20's, good start.

Insulate the bottom of the mat - a dinner place mate will fit nicely under an exo terra, to direct more heat into the tank.

Covering the lid with a towel, with shelf directly above will help keep the heat in. Don't be tempted to crank the mat temp up too high to heat the air - control the substrate temp with the stat.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deano said:
From the size, it sounds like you have a large, flat exo terra, or a contico.

I've got an exo terra, I found it tricky to raise the ambient with all the vetilation the lids give.

Try raising the room temp for a start - 18c is low, so if you can get to low 20's, good start.

Insulate the bottom of the mat - a dinner place mate will fit nicely under an exo terra, to direct more heat into the tank.

Covering the lid with a towel, with shelf directly above will help keep the heat in. Don't be tempted to crank the mat temp up too high to heat the air - control the substrate temp with the stat.
Thats it a flat exo terra :oops: .........I have raised the room temperature to 21c and i have wrapped some tin foil around a piece of card and placed it under the viv :lol: , i have also placed a towel on top of the lid :wink:

It appears to be working and the temperature is at 80-81 degrees f. :D

thanks for all the help peeps.....tomgriffin :wink:

·
Registered
380 Posts
the best place to put the probe is directly on top of the heat mat (which should be sitting on the bottom of the viv if you have a thermostat or pulsestat) and tape it down with loads of insulating tape so the probe is reading the mat only and not air temp.

·
Registered
168 Posts
a towel on top works well as a quick fix as well if your struggling! :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If youre still struggling you may want to try removing the tin foil as to be honest I think this will reduce the efficiency of the mat since it will work as a conductor and take heat away from the viv into what ever your viv is on.

Youre better of with something that doesnt conduct heat but insulates it. Like something plastic or polystyrene, or just a place mat as mentioned will work well.

Tin foil will only redirect infrared heat which can be reflected like light.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
carl24bpool said:
If youre still struggling you may want to try removing the tin foil as to be honest I think this will reduce the efficiency of the mat since it will work as a conductor and take heat away from the viv into what ever your viv is on.

Youre better of with something that doesnt conduct heat but insulates it. Like something plastic or polystyrene, or just a place mat as mentioned will work well.

Tin foil will only redirect infrared heat which can be reflected like light.
Its at a constant temp of 82 degrees f now, if anything the tin foil has helped the heating process :)

thanks for the help.....tomgriffin :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts