Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,i wonder if anyone can help me i hav a bearded dragon who is approx 3 months,ive had him about 3 weeks,to start with he wouldnt eat anything then after about a week he started eating 2-4 a day,yesterday he ate 3 in the morning and 6 in the afternoon now im worried hes eating to many and wont digest them properly,he is only little!!!!wat does everyone think??x

·
Registered
185 Posts
care sheets suggest about 20 small crix lol dont worie too much mine only eat about 10 he just dont both with any more and he is the same age

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Mine are just over 3 months I think now and one eats around 15-20 and the larger one (both same age) eats around 20 - 30 and would eat more if I let him. Im not sure how large your beardies are but I feed mine medium to large crickets and the largest bearded can easily eat a pinkie, he doesnt get these often though as its given him a double chin :lol:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
and it crunches horribly!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh dont worry about feeding a young beardie too much, keep him eating, if he puts on weight and u see he is gettin fat u can always cut him down.
i think anywhwere between 10 and 40 a day is podssible, also depends what veg they get but 9 defo int too much so no worries there.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Beardies do grow at differnet rates too so when someone says theirs only eats a few crickets and someone else says theirs can hapilly munch on a pinkie dont let it worry you. Heres a photo Ive found of mine to show how different their growth can be. their all just over 3 months and the smallest is only a week younger then the other 2 and theres no way that could even begin to think about eating a pinkie yet. As long as your beardies eating , poohing and looking healthy I wouldnt worry. :D

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
lol thank but they didnt stay still for long and I darnt keep the smaller one with them for long incase she gets eaten :D

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
the longer a beardie is kept in "pet shop" conditions the smaller it remains, ours wer 7 inches when we got them at 3 months, buy 6 months they wer likr 16 inches i guess, in our local some beardies wer there, 4 inches long, still same size 3 months later..thast a small 6 month old beardies right there :(

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
that probably explains why our little one is so much smaller. they was all in the pet shop at the same time but we have only just bought the smaller one after having the other 2 for nearly 2 month.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh poor little lady has some catchin up to do.
I wont buy anything thats been in our local more than a few weeks cos of this, dunno about long term slowin in growth, hope not in ur youngens case, altho overall health and hapiness is all that matters really.

·
Registered
95 Posts
my german giant has a very large appetite and hes only about 5 months old, normally he gets crix and veg everyday which he eats alot of, but given the chance (which he has done a few times before) he has gone through a pack of locusts, a pack of crix (each containg about 20 - 30 of each) some worms and a bowl of veg. I can Deffinatly say bearded dragons are like bottomless pits

1 - 13 of 13 Posts