Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being clumbsy I mananged to drop a piece of the glass from the front of my viv whilst cleaning it. So I now need to find a glazer to get a new bit cut.

Does anyone know how much roughly speaking for a 4mm thick piece of glass 450mm x 515mm??

It would need the sanded edge or whatever it is they do to blunt the sides.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think I paid about £18 for a peice about that size-ish with polished edges- thats the expensive bit!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
find a double glazing manufacture there not glass specilest (sp) so not as expensive
thats where i get all of mine from and its a lot cheaper than a proper glass supplier

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
find a double glazing manufacture there not glass specilest (sp) so not as expensive
thats where i get all of mine from and its a lot cheaper than a proper glass supplier
Crafty - where do you go for yours, just in case I have a go at building my own sometime :)

cheers :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well your in halifax so id say go to warmshield windows on
hopwood lane just above the college
i used to work there so i know there pretty cheap

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
you won't need the edges polished.
You're only replacing 1 piece of glass and the glass will have an overlap so use your polished piece for the inside. The snake or lizard won't have to come into contact with the unpolished edge saving you cash.

·
Registered
939 Posts
you need toughened glass by law for 4mm sliding doors for your safety and your reps safety! toughened glass is made to order so you may have to wait a couple of days for it. cost is dependent on size, for 1 piece 1.5ft by 1ft your looking around £8-£10

·
Registered
939 Posts
u don't need polished edges if you have it toughened! to have it polished it doubles the price and no vivs that you buy in the shops have polished edges!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I spoke to four glaziers after I thought the first one was trying to take me for a ride - all four said the edges would be razor sharp and would not slide in runners, and needed to be rounded.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I spoke to four glaziers after I thought the first one was trying to take me for a ride - all four said the edges would be razor sharp and would not slide in runners, and needed to be rounded.
the other 4 are taking you for a ride i have toughened glass that came in my vivs and glass that I've bought and there exactly the same no polished edges and i could run my wrists down them and nothing would happen! the toughening substance makes the edges look polished and take the sharp edge off eliminating the need for polished edges! and halving the price!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
you need toughened glass by law for 4mm sliding doors for your safety and your reps safety! toughened glass is made to order so you may have to wait a couple of days for it. cost is dependent on size, for 1 piece 1.5ft by 1ft your looking around £8-£10

What a load of shit! There is no law that states you have to use 4mm toughened for sliding doors!
You have to for furniture, but as vivs are not classed a furture you dont have to!!!
I have looked into it all and so has my local pet shop, Id love to know who told you it was LAW???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts