Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
if you find poop on the rocks, i'd clean them then and there, i use a special cleaner designed for reptile vivarium water bowels and furniture. if you cn't find any of that, i'd suggest using lemmon juice as a disinfectant, as it is obviously natural and can't harm your animal like detergants and stuff can. i'd change the substrate every month, and give all your rocks and stuff a good cleaning then also
hope this helps :)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
spot cleaning when needed,and thorough clean and substrate change every 6-8 weeks.I use Cascade cleaning disinfectant and have had no problems with it,its made for reptile vivs and doesnt contain phenols,which are dangerous. thats what the bottle says anyway.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hmmm
this is where im a bit slacking i guess.
We spot clean everyday, and i wipe over with water if anything gets dusty/sandy from the beardies or DIRTY from the bosc [as she is on soil]
anything gets crapped on it gets a good clean with either than cascade stuff, think thats the one, its green, and i also use normal bleach and/or dissanfectant and antibacterial fairy liquid [the blue one]
and then rinse well.
We wipe down the walls of the vivs, brush down the shelves and logs etc with a wet dustpan and brush BRUSH and then rinse in the same manner
BUT, in all honesty i have yet to give a full substrate change in either the beardie viv, they hardly ever go on it except to mess around and dig..theres 3 big bags of playsand at the bottom in all.
and in savvy theres a bag of soil, mixed with a qtr bag of playsand which again hasnt been completely changed, just toped up [she shits only in the water and the top up is cos she throws lots of it in the water also so it decreases readily.
I plan to give both vivs a good clean and full change soon so they can all settle in for the winter incase they brumate.

Please bare in mind there is never any animal/insect loose in either viv as the beardies are hand fed there live food and savvy is obviously hand fed the mouse and is given one cricket to chase at a time.
and they all shit in the same places virtually all the time so that area is cleaned/disenfected daily. [food shelf for beardies, water bowl for the bosc]

However I believe, thinking about it that as i said at the begining, ive been a bit slacking in this department..so feel free to moan at me :)

Dean

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
lol i wont moan!:p

When my babies where on sand i did spot cleaning everyday and total clean out once a month... I use Milton to clean out,Always have never had a problem with it..

However! When i did a total clean you still find bits of veg and sand stuck to the bottom where water or whatever has been on the sand and its got through to the bottom .My sand was about 3 inchs thick and it still happened! Doesnt effect me so much anymore because I have taken the sand out and use boring paper towel!

xxx

·
Registered
801 Posts
Same here, we use paper towell. We change it every day and clean the rocks, wood etc coz our BDs seem to love to crap on it. Also spray with Cascade and wipe out viv briefly after each feed. The glass gets wiped down with Cascade about once a week and the whole thing gets deep cleaned no less than once a month.

Just a habit I spose!!

Cascade is really cheap on Ebay, £2.99 a bottle I think, from thereptilewarehouse. It comes really well packed and delivery is fast, same with his livefoods which we've used once or twice.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Oddly...its only £2.99 a bottle at our local rep shop also.

Wish they were as reasonably priced on heatmats...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thats not bad, our local shops don't stock it, but the similar stuff they have is over 6 or 7 quid!! Ripper!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I spot clean every day, sift through the sand when it's looking manky, clean the glass when it looks dirty and have a big clean once a month. Bowls and things get cleaned every other day - hot water, scrubbing brush then Cascade. I have the plastic lid of a Chinese takeaway carton under the sand in her toilet corner and I lift all that out every couple of days and give the lid a good scrub. The pee soaks through and stinks otherwise. I'm putting in reptile carpet after the big clean out in a couple of weeks. Oh, and I change her kitchen roll tubes whenever I use all the kitchen roll!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
i spot clean everyday but im lucky with the wd's as they really only pop in the waterbowl which is cleaned everyday anyway but i do a full clean out once a month or more if it needs it
the cleaner i use i dont no what its called but its for all animals dogs cats reptile small furry things everything and its a 3 in 1 and ive never had any problems it come in 3 smells aswell lol and it is £1.99
manda xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts