Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female who is about 16 months old, I always fed her every 7-8 days, in sept/oct 06 she started to refuse feeds and would only eat every 10-14 days, then in november 06 she refused and since then she has refused 6 times and eaten 5 times with as little as 7 days and as much as 27 days between feeds.
She is around three feet long and isnt losing any weight, her temps are all good and she has had a couple of full sheds.
Should I continue to offer her food every 7 days or go to 10-14 days?
I am taking her to my local rep shop tomorrow to be sexed and given a brief check over but I wanted to get some of your opinions first.
Thanks.
Oh, i've chucked in some pics, just to show her off.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
my 2 royals are on different feeds due to size smaller one gets fed a mouse twice a week and the older one gets a medium rat weekly

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
id still go with the 7 days for a while :)

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
mine feed weekly

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Hello just try her when you think i.e every 7-10 days it can be hard some times i had a male that didn't eat for about 5 weeks and all i did was drop the food size and hes fine now : victory:

Good luck hun

Sam

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Taking it to the rep shop to get sexed huh??? Bet ya its a boy, even though you already said female lol... BP's aren't my thing, but from what experience I do have with them, the males are very finicky eaters and will not eat on a regular basis during the colder season. Females might be a lil finicky also, but nowhere near as bad as the boys. Wouldn't worry too much unless it starts losing a lot of weight, I'm sure it will start feeding more regularily again as soon as it warms up...
Steve

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I feed my girl (almost 2) every 7-8 days. I've heard that if you feed them just only very slightly smaller items they will feed on a more regular basis. (like Sam found)

Feeding more than once a week isn't really recommended for snakes due to the extra effort involved in digesting etc. Better to feed one appropriate sized item once a week.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Weigth loss is a key indidcator to whether a snake (or any other reptile) is healthy, so unless he starts losing weight or developing ill symtons i wouldnt worry, mind you I havent got a ball or any snake for that matter, but i have learnt alot and i am quite knowledgable, just i don have experience.

btw if you have a sore throat strepsils work wonders!

·
Registered
267 Posts
myroyal slinky didnt eat for about 3 weeks over christmas but i kept offering her a mouse every 7 days and she started eating again now, im saying she but i dont know the sex of mine either:lol2: reticulus is sexing mine for me tomorrow. Good lock with your snakey :)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I feed all my snakes on the Sunday of each week... If they are shedding they don't get fed mind. I find it easier to keep track of feeding that way. Non of my snakes seam to be fat or thin so thats what I shall keep doing!

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
That is a lovely royal :smile: Freddie is about the same age and size as your royal, he eats two mice once a week :smile:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
If he's happily taking 2 mice, you can try and up the size. Mine are taking jumbo mice at the mo. I'll try to up the size again in a few month and get them on small rats. Apparently it's good when they eat big prey :roll:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
took both my Royals to be probed today, turns out they are both girls, not one of each, they are both fine, good weight, actually the older one(the one this thread was started for) is a few grams overweight but nothing serious, thanks for replies.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My 2 1/2 year old (around 3ft long) has taken, on average, one adult mouse per month for the past 5 months and has still put on some weight.

Until 3 weeks ago he hadn't eaten for 2 months - gerbil scented mouse did the trick : victory:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts