Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as above really, just wandering how often as i have had mine for 2 weeks and wandered when they should be shedding,?

cheers in advance, John

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i see you looking Graham :p

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It depends, younger turts shed more often than older ones as they are growing faster, and how fast they grow depends on how much and what you feed them.
The amount of calcium they get in their diet, and the amount of UVB they are exposed to to enable them to process the calcium into new shell will make a difference.
They also need to be able to dry out completely under a warm basking lamp for the old scutes to shed.

Given ideal conditions hatchling may shed every 2-3 months in the first year, as they grow older and their growth rate slows they'll shed less often, my adults only shed once a year.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Graham, clears it up, so i should be expecting one soon, they all loving there basking, and have uv near the basking spot, and also pecking at some cuttlefish,

John

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Before they shed you should start to see new shell between the old scutes, they will appear to be moving apart as the shell grows bigger.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Mate, will go check see if i see anything,

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts