Reptile Forums banner

How often will a BD shed?

912 views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  pixie_bex 
#1 ·
How often does shedding happen? How long does it take? We haven't seen a shed yet, our BD is 13 wks now.

#2 ·
shedding is directly related to growth [until a point]
the quicker they grow the more frequently they will shed.
At your beardies age if you keep him well fed, well excersised and generally happy Your beardie could, like ours at a young age shed every 2 weeks, each lasting around 3 days from start to finish, maybe alittle more.
when young it should pretty much seem like they are at some stage of a shed just as often as they are not [inc the couple days leading up to a shed, looking a little dull and possibly off thier food and moody]

#4 ·
Had our little one just over a week now - I don't think hes eating enough? Only about 6-8 crickets (tops) a day. Not eating any greens at all! He has days when he seems hungry and actually puts some effort in to chase the more lively crickets. Pooing well though, they do quite large poos for creatures their size! He is about 6 inches at the mo.

#6 ·
Flower said:
Had our little one just over a week now - I don't think hes eating enough? Only about 6-8 crickets (tops) a day. Not eating any greens at all! He has days when he seems hungry and actually puts some effort in to chase the more lively crickets. Pooing well though, they do quite large poos for creatures their size! He is about 6 inches at the mo.
just to mention... if he is not eating much cos he cant catch much you should slow the crickets down... beardies arent the huge hunters many other lizards are as im sure you know.

#7 ·
13 weeks. Did slow the crickets down this morning by putting them in the fridge for a while, served them up on a bed of greens, but they had warmed up and run off by the time he was interested.

No haven't had a fecel done? Do I get this done at the vets?

#8 ·
Just read care sheet - I have read lots of care sheets before we bought our new friend. Reading your care sheet though - sin no. 1 - we did buy our BD from a store where they were on sand. We did buy the biggest, and he looked bright, alert and lively.

We bought the complete viv set up from the guy in the shop who kindly put it together for us and set it up ready for plug in. The set up did come with calci-sand. Having read lots of your articles and posted a topic on this problem myself. We are awaiting delivery of some Zoo Med Cage Carpet which hopefully should be here Monday. I'm putting the crickets in the fridge and dusting them with Nutrobal every other day. Offering fresh greens every morning and am misting once a day. Haven't yet given the little guy a bath though, as I wasn't sure when to start and I wanted him to settle in his new home. How many crickets should he be eating a day?

#13 ·
I thought impaction meant he would poo - and he is pooing everyday. He is eating but not as much as I thought he should - but obviously being new to this I don't know what normal is. He is eating about 8 brown crix a day.

Gave him a bath today and took him into the garden for a bit of sunshine.

#14 ·
hhmmm im confused...i thought brown crix shouldnt be put in a fridge? black crix slow down and take a while to get back up to full speed if put in a fridge tho, if this helps. Really hope you get ur lil man sorted and yea fecals get done at ur vets. :)

#15 ·
no impaction means it cant poo because its blocked up, due to substrate or too larger crickets.

how old is the BD by the way?

i was feeding my guy 12 crickets a day then all of a sudden he started to eat 25 a day :shock: i had to buy bulk bags just to keep enough crickets in...

#16 ·
hi, just a hint, put the crix in a bag [sandwich/freezer bag] get the beardie interested in them by showing him, he should try and attack the bag, then go put them in the FREEZER for 2 minutes, then show him the bagagain and tip them out in front of him.

#18 ·
well, in my opinion and from what i had read b4 keeping beardies, its beardies who arent the huge hunters and can do with them slowed, i mean they eat from a bowl whereas many reps wont, being omnivorous is part of it i think, whereas with geckos you should leave them to it, beardies like to be hand fed, not sayin u should what i really mean is they dont need or want to run there arses around after food.

Ofcourse if ur beardies catch the food unslowed then no need, but escapees are a bitch and well... beardies are a bit wussy arent they...
in the above mentioned case the beardie is having probs catchin the crix.

#19 ·
No, it will not make them lazy. If you give bathes everyday, then the'll get their exercise in, and if you take them outside everyday (like you should), they'll also get exercise, and there's many other things they get exercise from that you won't even think about...

Only newly owned bearded dragons, and extremely aggresive bearded dragons should be hand fed...

#20 ·
why would you hand feed an extremely aggressive bearded dragon?

#21 ·
My BD IS pooing everyday - and I like I said before I was amazed how big his poos are considering his size! I gave him his first bath yesterday and he didn't swim around, but today him seemed to really like it, lots of swimming action. What is the normal (if there is a normal number) of crix I should be expecting him to eat a day. He is eating max 8 (if he can catch um).

I do put them in the fridge to slow them down, but they always seems to warm up and make a dash for it before he is interested.

#22 ·
My BD IS pooing everyday - and I like I said before I was amazed how big his poos are considering his size! I gave him his first bath yesterday and he didn't swim around, but today him seemed to really like it, lots of swimming action. What is the normal (if there is a normal number) of crix I should be expecting him to eat a day. He is eating max 8 (if he can catch um).

I do put them in the fridge to slow them down, but they always seems to warm up and make a dash for it before he is interested.

Oh yeah, he's 13 weeks old now

#25 ·
ok cool, i believe to keep that relationship theres nothing wrong with hand feeding either but I shall not argue over it as its not worth it, I have no real opinion either way on how helpfull or harmfull hand feeding is over aprolonged period of time, nor in the short term.

Dean

#26 ·
Another way to slow crickets down is to put them in a sandwich bag and shake them for few secs when Obi was little he seemed almost scared of the crickets running so fast and when he did chase them he couldnt stop himself quick enough and he would bash into the side of the viv lol..

i used to shake them in front of the viv and he got used to it being dinner time..

Im not sure why people are confusing poor Flower with opinons of building a realtionship with an aggresive beardie??

I have no problem with hand feeding I have always done it with Obi and he still chases crickets around the tank so I dont feel it has made him that lazy.... I also give them both homemade baby food once a week loads of cooked veggies whizzed around they love it and take it off the spoon! Good way to make sure they arent dehidrated,

Although when he was poorly when he was a baby the vet gave me some advice to do something VERY gross and that was to put a few wax worms in the whizzer aswell!!!! ewwwwww I couldnt face that so i got my little bro to do it (all little boys love killing bugs right?)

Rest of the advice I have given is prob Cr*p but try and enjoy your Beardie! they grow up sooooooo fast :(

x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.