Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

We've had a pair of baby (about an inch long) Musk turtles for nearly two weeks now, and everything seems to be going really well :)

There is just one thing we haven't been able to find out yet though: how quickly do they grow? I know they're unlikely to get much over 4-5", but I don't seem to be able to find any information about how long it takes to get to their full size!

Rozz

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
It depends mainly on how much you feed them, like all turtles if fed correctly they should grow quite slowly, my small one has almost doubled in size in about 10 months which is about right, the growth rate gradually slows as they get older though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I hope we're getting the amount of food right - they always rush to eat when food appears, but obviously we don't want to end up overfeeding them. I've read that you can tell if they're getting fat cos they can't retract into their shells properly...

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Hi guys,

We've had a pair of baby (about an inch long) Musk turtles for nearly two weeks now, and everything seems to be going really well :)

There is just one thing we haven't been able to find out yet though: how quickly do they grow? I know they're unlikely to get much over 4-5", but I don't seem to be able to find any information about how long it takes to get to their full size!

Rozz
This will perhaps be of Help?

The Stinkpot Turtle; Its natural history and Captive Maintenance. R K Pewtress. - Proceedings of the 1988 British Herpetological Society Symposium on Captive Breeding.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Is that an online article or a paper publication, where would we find it?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
i have a baby stinkpot dwarf musk turtle, the guy in the shop thought he was around 6 months, any help on how often and how much to feed him would be great..
also, what do you personally feed yours? ive been told he needs a wide variety...

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts