Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: i have a map turtle and a river cooter in a 2 ft soon to be bigger set up with a basking (uvb) light and a flourescent (uva&b) light system. both are 4-5 months old the map is maybe 3" and the cooter 2". i feed them a calcium powder suppliment maybe 2 times a week and some cuttle fish every 2 weeks. i am wondering how hard the shell should be i know i am probably just a nervouse 1st time keeper but both shells will flex with a little pressure from a finger and i was wondering if this is normall or should the shell be completely solid. both seem happy and feed readilly and out side of a little skin shedding seem to be fine. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi! I have a mississippi map and as he was only dinky when we met his shell had a 'bit of give' if you know what I mean :? . I checked this with the vet and was told for very young turts this can be the case but the shell itself shouldn't be soft (so a bit of give in a young turt can happen but soft shell plates isn't good). However, as I got all majorly paranoid about my pride & joy I've increased water changes, doubly triply checked the basking and water temps and started adding plants regularly to the tank to improve the hygiene (plants help get rid of harmful nitrates) and I haven't had it for several months since - in fact Tonks the turtle is turning into a right little hard nut! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
turtles

dagger said:
Hi

I've replied to your pm, How old is the UVB light, you know they should be replaced every 6 months, maybe it's time for a change, how long do you have it on for, maybe increase this?

thanks for your reply. ive had the flourescent tube for about 3 months and ive gone through about 3 basking bulbs in about 4 months ( i left them in with the condensation twice) my bad and theye get about 13 hour days with both bulbs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MACH

again thanks for your reply all the help is verry appreciated. i do a full water change about every 2 weeks with maybe 2 partial changes in between when i clean the filter. i keep water lettuices in there and change them about once a month (mainly cause theye rip them apart). i use nutrobal calcium dust, stress coat(for the chlorine), and king british water freshener (mainly for the smell) but i heard it helps with bacteria. just incase you wanted to know my map is named MACH beacause my missuis thinks he looks like a razor. you know (GILLETTE MACH 3). i heard theye were 1 of the shiest turtles you could get but he will sit there and bask right up untill you put your hand in the tank almost daring you and will chase you for food.my river cooter is much shyer but not to bad we call him coot for obviouse reasons but both are brilliant. again thanks for your reply and i will keep an eye on it if it gets worse i will see a vet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts