Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our rats gave birth friday. I think shes had about 9-10 babies. I read on a web site its best to start handling them when they are a couple of days old. Only problem is the mummy rat isnt having any of it so Ive left them alone. I cant even put my hand in the cage to put food in the dish so Ive been dropping it in through the bars.

How long should we leave her to get on with it. Ive had a quick peep before mummy rat dived for my hand to bite it and all the babies look healthy. How do I go about cleaning the cage?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Hi hun, I asked a rat breeding friend of mine and she says she usually just steals the whole house they are in - is she keeping the babies inside a house/igloo that you can pick up when she leaves it?

She also says she should get a lot less stressed once the babies open their eyes. Hope this helps a bit for now, maybe you should PM Pimp, shes a ratty person :D

Ooh also do ya want that rat cage I was telling you about? Its in the shed at Pauls if you do, I can drop it round at weekend?

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Hannah. Ive sent pimp a pm and shes been a great help :D Yes if your still getting rid of the cage Id be very greatful of it thanks. :D I cant pick the house up with the babies in because the tops not attached to a bottom. I think my best bet is to go out tomorrow and buy a house with bottom attach and move them all over to that. Thats if mummy rat will let me put my hand in the cage again :shock: Im going to follow pimps advice and get some thick gardening gloves :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts