Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all the care sheets it says what substrate you shoulduse but not how thick,if i were to get a crin snake how thickly would I need to put the newspaper?

·
Registered
48 Posts
you also need to consider how you are heating the viv, as is if its a heatmat underneath the tank, or in the tank but under the substrate, then excess material can cause the heat to become trapped. This could lead to overheating if a thermostat wasn't used.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I am going to use a thermostat, and its an anery corn,the heatsource is a heatmat,would say 5mm thick be ok?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
5mm would be way too much newspaper!
Just a sheet or two for a hatchling, about 4 sheets for an adult (bigger poos).
When the snake poos, you just take out all the paper and replace it with new.

If you're going to keep a hatchling in a plastic tub or faunarium you may find kitchen towel is easier to use - a couple of layers would be enough.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I use about a 3/4 inch thickness of Aspen.. too much and you can insulate the heat from getting through from the mat. Too little and the snake can get burnt - especially if the mat is in contact with the tub bottom.

I suppose different people have their own methods, there probably isn't a right answer.. If you ensure that you have a good digi thermometer and place the probe on the surface of the substrate where the snake will lay, then you can make sure the temps are correct for the depth of substrate you choose to use.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I'd put enough in so that the snake could hide completely underneath... especially if its a baby! If its not you'll have to reply on hides and stuff for them to hide under anyway....

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks! Yes I didnt want to burn the corn ,or let it get cold ! thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts