It was feeding time
I only opened the vivs far enough to throw a mouse in with tongs
Snakes did not go for mouse but launched out of cage and tagged me
Really not appreciative.... : victory:

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
you need one of these..

Hold the tongs between its teeth and drop the mouse in. Mr snake will see this big arse snake heading towards him and will be too scared to try and tag you.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
dont open the glass as much...

feed them in tubs... take out bout 10 mins befor you bring food into the room... then feed them... thatw ay you can get out the way :D

feed off longer tounges :D

peace

James

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
avoid handling when he is in pre-shedding time. he is nervous and blind then.
avoid handling when he is hungry. Your finger is his prey.
avoid handling when the temps is cold. He is in bad mood.
avoid handling when he is hissing. He is in bad mood.
avoid handling when the temps is too hot. He is in bad mood.
avoid approching your hand slowly to him. Your hand is monster size to him and he thinks it's an enemy. Touch him quickly.

When he is eating, you won't get bite. Because he is busy to him.
Touch him softly once. he doesn't like it. But at least he can't bit at you then. :lol2:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Where possible I feed my snakes out of the viv in tubs. They just think theyre out for a handle and then I put them in a tub which already has the food item in. Doesnt work with my jcp or my yellow rat though, they prefer to strike feed. I handle them first, put them back in the viv, then offer the food with tongs.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
I take it, it was the corns that bit you?
If not and it was a royal just make sure you have colder hands when feeding time comes.
Dont open vivs to wide and make sure you are paying attention to where the snake is ( i know how much it can make you jump of they strike and your not expecting it lol)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Maybe a bit hard, you obviously have very hungry snakes!

Could wear a glove to minimize affect on you, or pop the mouse in when they're not aware. If you do just open the lid a little and pop the mouse in with tongs, doing it at the opposite end of the tank while distracting them, (maybe place a mouse outide the tank at their end) could keep them away long enough to close the lid.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
well i would say dont keep snakes!!!
but the if your feeding in viv with tounges then i dont see how you can get bit...open the viv just enought to get the food item in and then close it onto thetounges so you have only a little gap in the door, then you should be able get feed with out getting bitten....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
My 3 pennuth.......

1. Dont let them get that hungry that they launch at the mere whiff of food

2. Dont defrost or warm their food in the same room for same reason

3. Wear a glove ( leather ones are great )

4.Open viv doors at different end each time if you are feeding in the viv then they wont associate that one end = food and 'be there'

5.Sing 'Praise be' because they are eating! :lol2:

·
Registered
16,577 Posts
I dont understand really how you got bitten 3 times anyway, if you are being careful it shouldnt be an issue

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
its just about knowing what the snakes body language means! you tell when they are gonna bite after time. luckily from me i'm quicker than mine most of the time. they'll have their day tho i'm sure

·
Registered
31,649 Posts
Never been tagged when feeding. I usualy prepare the food earlier and wash my hands before feeding, if any come to the viv fronts as I open the door I give them a light mist with the spray gun just to back them of a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts