Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts

Housing
I use two large tanks (24x15x20", WDH), one for adults and one for grown on locusts that are near adults.
Once the Locusts have turned to adults they get moved into the adult tank to replace any that have died off.
Both tanks have full vented lids and egg cartons inside for extra ground space and to hang from during moulting.

Temperature/Humidity
I use a reflector bulb pointing down at one end of the tank to simulate sunshine and heat mats underneath and around the edges of the same end of the tank, the bulb is on from 6am to 8pm and during the night the heat mats do the work.
This holds the temperature at about 28c-30c 24 hours a day with a day/night cycle.
Keep the humidity as low as possible, which the full mesh top will help with.

Food/water
I feed my Locusts on bran and veg, any veg that I feed my BD's on is good,I make sure they they never run out of food.
I don't provide my Locusts with a water bowl, I've found that they drown and are perfectly OK with water obtained from their veg.

Breeding
Providing the temperatures aren't too cold I have found that adults will mate without any help.
Provide a few tubs with 10cm (4 inches) of soil for egg laying,ice-cream tubs are good for this, position these tubs over the heat mats and keep the soil moist but not soaking.
You can remove the tubs to separate incubating tanks if you want to (incubate at 28c) but I don't have the room so I leave them in with the adults and they do fine.
You should be able to see that eggs have been layed because there will be holes in the soil where the Locust has pushed the entire rear end if its body into the soil to lay the eggs, you may also see "spiderweb" looking white stuff on the surface of the soil, this comes out with the eggs and is normal.
Once the eggs have been layed it usually takes around 10 days for the baby Locusts to start digging their way out of the soil, I then collect them and keep them in cricket tubs with a piece of egg carton and feed them the same as adults.
Once the babies have got bigger they are either fed off to my animals or put back into the tub to become adults and lay their own eggs.

These are only my own methods which I have found to work well and may or may not work for others.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i found this very intresting and i have decided to give it a go myself i have ordered 8 adult locust of the internet which arrived today and a have got them in a 2ft viv, fingers crossed they start to breed??

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cool, thanks duude

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cool does it smell?

·
Registered
242 Posts
neat nice lil article

·
Registered
108 Posts
locust breeding

we used to breed locusts at school and used slightly damp sand in glass beakers (we were monitoring the eggs as well as lifecycle ) maybe less contaminents using sand to give better results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my local shop which sells locusts say that they've all been fertilized and cannot reproduce? thus to stop people letting them go. is this true are both available?

·
Registered
5 Posts
These locusts kind of freak me out the way they stare at me amd sometimes i just want to squat them. i've had nightmares of them since i was two but my doctor has cured must of the problems and im coming on quite nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Breeding live feed

Hello there I'm also quite a newbie to this reptile owning caper, I mentioned to the missus that i was interested in breeding our own ORGANIC? Live feed lol, she thought i was MENTAL. On buying stuff from our local supplier we noticed that most of the stock was either 6/7 locusts per pack (With 4/5 being dead or around 10 crickets with 10/15 dead and stinking like hell) Surely this is not good practice giving a delicate thing shite like that? I want to get my own locust farm started any advice would be greatly appreciated, Could forward my e-mail if preferred many thanks Mark.:2thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great Locust guide.

I have found with mine that Vermiculite (not perlite, there is a difference) works better than compost or peat and sand. easier to keep hydrated and less chance of mould.
Locusts HATE mould :lol2:

I have always been amazed with how easy they are to breed. : victory:

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Awesome guide well done :2thumb:

·
Registered
286 Posts
what locusts are best to start breeding with ? extra large ? adults ?
I would say Adult :D

Owner of
rex the bearded dragon
skittles,Female leopard gecko
Monty,Male leopard Gecko
Alpha,Whites tree frog
susana, Crested Gecko
and Anubis,Sandfish skink

·
Registered
8 Posts
locust query

one of my locusts was attached to another i thought they were mating but one was dead and the other got much larger and its wings came out can anyone explain what happened?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.