Reptile Forums banner

221 - 230 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
A little advice please :)

Thinking of starting to breed locusts but I am unsure as to whether I can just leave the tubs which the eggs are layed in inside the enclosure with all the other locusts? Do you have to remove these tubs and incubate or will they just emerge when ready if left in the original container inside the tank? I am short on space you see.
Thanks x

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just started breeding locust again and I have always used just sand. Most things I read say sand/soil. What should do you use and where do you get it from? So I need to bake it like I did the sand? It was hot and miss before with having hatchlings so I want to do it seriously now

Cheers guys

·
Registered
303 Posts
Can anyone please help me?

I have managed to get my locust breeding like mad and have had probably over 500 babies hatch. I keep them serrated in another tank but a lot of them seem to die within the first few days. They are heated like the adults and fed greens and grass but I'm lost on why they are dieing so much.
Cheers ;-)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Interested in the cost benefits of breeding locusts if anyone has any ideas.

I only use 4 tubs of medium locusts a week which costs me about £6.50 - What with all the heating is there actually any cost benefit to breeding for such a small usage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
whats best?

hi now i'm trying to breed locust on a larger scale and have built a 10x12ft shed with 4ft vivs inside. Now I was using heat lamps but found it more expensive then actually heating the room. So now I heat the room with built in fans in the vivs to move the are about. The vivs are 24 degrees at the bottom ones and 34 at the top. Now unless i'm not right it can be hot anywhere in the viv due to the climate they come from and the heat required for digestion? i'm housing around 600 at the moment with he look at holding around 1000 per viv. has anybody do this on a larger scale and can provide me with more help?

does it matter that viv is hot each end?
more ventilation the better?
they are laying in compost at mo do they lay better in sand?
I use led for a light source so it that ok? or must it be a heat lamp?
how many can you keep in a single 4ft x 2ft x 1ft viv?

I also feed kale everyday and a dry mixture but the veg does dry out very quick how much water do they really need daily?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great guide

Hello,

Just wanted to say that years on this guide is still great. I'm going to start breeding Locusts in my new setup and will update on the progress. I'm going to start with 32 adults and go from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried doing this and found buying bulk from my pet shop was a lot less hassle as when there born there so tiny it takes a while to get to winged locusts, am trying Dubia roach now
Though as roachs breed like crazy :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've been experimenting with locust breeding for a long time. I have discovered a method in which you only really need to feed/water them once in the whole egg->adult cycle. I've described it in detail here if anyone is interested: https://www.locusta.cz/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon I've just started to breed locust for my bearded dragon so far everything is going well... already have three hoppers turned into young adults, I have 3ft mesh topped tank with eco soil and branches for them to hang on..... im using a white heat light and UV bar light and I'm feeding them on kale and spinach and fresh washed grass.... they seem to be thriving and growing at rapid rate.... fingers crossed I should have eggs in a week or two......

221 - 230 of 230 Posts