Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you care for them? Would normal fruit flies be okay?
Thanks
Specific to L1/3 please

·
Registered
529 Posts
Normal fruit flies should be fine although by L3 you could be using the larger heydii (obviously can`t spell it) ones. I have also had good results using hatchling red runner roaches and the smallest of a box of small brown crickets, which are practically micros.
Someone on here recently gave a tip of using tiny pieces of meat presented on the point of a pin.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just wna say mate its common knowledge crickets carry a certain bacteria i there gut think its brown ones? And not always but a lot of the time mantids drop dead from eating them. Now some people feed crix all a mantids life and have no problems. Others including me fed my gaint asain 1 cricket next day blak goo from mouth and she was dead:( she was sub adult aswell but i fed obviously a bad batch of crickets as i purchsed her off her and he fed her crickets but teres plenty of threads about the black death

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Just wna say mate its common knowledge crickets carry a certain bacteria i there gut think its brown ones? And not always but a lot of the time mantids drop dead from eating them. Now some people feed crix all a mantids life and have no problems. Others including me fed my gaint asain 1 cricket next day blak goo from mouth and she was dead:( she was sub adult aswell but i fed obviously a bad batch of crickets as i purchsed her off her and he fed her crickets but teres plenty of threads about the black death
Its the black ones that are thought to cause trouble. However there is no real proof for this. Mantids naturally prefer a prey that flies however if this isnt possible (especially at this time of the year) some can be moved onto brown crickets or locusts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts