Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi how do you clean cork bark i have some in the shed that i used to have in my african land snails tank and its mukky so how do i get rid off the mud can you just wet it then dry it

i have heard you can put it in the oven to get rid of any stuff

its for a tarantulas: victory:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have no idea if what I did was right but I found a branch last night I needed for a set-up, boiled the kettle and poured it over, left it for a bit, scrubbed it then put it in the oven for about 20 mins...

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i will try that what sort of temp in the oven

hight or low lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
I did it at 200 degrees prob would have done gas mark 5 or 6 if i had a gas cooker

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a elec cooker so im ok thanks alot mate

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah sounds ok but i might go for the first one sounds easy:2thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
give it a wash with warm water, that's all thats required.
"cooking" won't kill off any bugs, neither will a kettle of water. The danger of using detergents is they'll affect your tarantula too.
Unless you suspect your wood of having parasites from exotic lands or flies there's little danger. Of course you could freeze it if that makes you happier as that's likely to kill off most exotic pests.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
dont put in the cooker for long though i did so in in micowave an the cork burnt and snapped and caught fire

·
Registered
741 Posts
dont put in the cooker for long though i did so in in micowave an the cork burnt and snapped and caught fire
:lol2: I think the oven is a safer bet... microwaves are evil things! Although as Poxicator said we don't need to

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i tend to submerge it in boiling water with a little bit of arc cleanse in it (as its save for inverts). then leave it there for 10 minutes to get into gaps etc.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
im going to use my sisters dishwasher for mine :lol2:
and dont use any dishwasher tablets
id imagine that would kill anything off and then maybe dry it off in the oven

·
Registered
749 Posts
I agree with Poxicator, ther is really little reason to sterilise everything that you put in your tarantula's enclosure. You won't kill off everything anyway and even if you managed to do it there are lots of fungal and bacterial spores in the air and it would be 'contaminated' almost the second you put it in with your spider. Remember there is no place that tarantulas live in the wild that is sterile and without fungus etc, especially not for tropical species where their environment positively teems with microbial life.

So just give that piece of cork bark a good scrub with warm water to get the slime off (you said you'd used it with snails), let it dry off and use it : victory:
No need to make your life unnecessarily harder :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
in the summer (if we get any) after a good soak in hot water you can leave it in the sun to dry (a windowsill is good). a couple of days of good sunlight will help kill pests as well as dry out the wood

Freezing will kill many things, when I kept gerbils I froze their hay (it can harbour mites) and their food (to kill of grain moth caterpillars which are an absolute pest).
48 hours is enough to destroy most things, while soaking in hot water will kill others and help float off any loose muck

for spores and other things that are tough enough to survive this treatment you will have to rely on your Ts being healthy enough to combat any parasitic load

oven is fine as long as you don't let it scorch but microwaves are a very different method of heating something and I am not surprised the result was a fire, I would be definitely not use a microwave to sterilise wood, although it can be used for glass jars etc (only heatproof glass) with a little water in them (but they must then be given lots of times to cool as they will be extremely hot).

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guy well i have submerged it in boiling water and left it for 1 hour. The i scrumbed it and then im letting it to dry thanks again guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts