Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently acquired a bearded dragon from someone who couldn't look after her anymore, she is 4 years old and slightly overweight but she will not touch her veg. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to eat her veggies.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I try use a spoon and pretend it's a plane

but seriously, there isn't really any ideal way - Best way I found is to try an array of greens and see if there's something she's particularly keen on.

One method you could try is dropping a few mealworms or morio worms in with her greens to get it "moving" to entice her in

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've recently acquired a bearded dragon from someone who couldn't look after her anymore, she is 4 years old and slightly overweight but she will not touch her veg. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to eat her veggies.
A number of ways I'd suggest:

- Easiest is to try rubbing her mouth with the greens, ours tends to open his mouth with very little touching as he is use to syringe feeding. This is unlikely to work with you but worth a try.

- Second is to do what others have suggested by placing live food in the veg and hope she gets some veg by accident.

- If you get some spare time try popping a plate full of greens in her viv and watch her for a few hours, she may be taking the odd mouthful throughout the day without your knowledge (ours does).

- Another option is a vivactor, it is basically a dish that vibrates and it activates their instinct to chase the veg and eat it. I have heard some fairly good reviews about it but it is the most expensive option and it may not work.

I wouldn't worry too much if she isn't eating as much veg as you would like, if you gut load the live food really well she shouldn't miss out too much. Although of course it isn't ideal she doesn't like her veg! If you get really desperate you could try blending it all with some water and syringing it on her nose but that's fairly impractical and the last thing you want is a beardie that relies on syringe feeding for her veg!

·
Oh God - not her AGAIN
9,646 Posts
All good suggestions above.

I would also suggest letting her get hungry. As lizard keepers we can get a bit anxious when our beloved pets don't eat - to us, our lizards eating well, means good health and husbandry - a sign that all is right. But we can forget that most reptiles are adapted to eating only sporadically. You have said that she's a bit overweight so if she goes a few days without food this isn't going to harm her in the slightest. Put her veggies in each day but don't feed any live. Try this for at least week, even a fortnight - tough love. If she still won't eat the veg then you might have to accept that she just doesn't like it. In which case make sure the live is well gut-loaded with veg.

Reactions: metroracer

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I offer mine the veggies before he gets any locusts etc. I find he'll eat a little bit if I put that in first then go back later and give him the insects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.