Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Long time since I've posted on this since my laptops been broken for a while but I'm just here for a bit of advice for a friend. Basically a friends brother has a nice looking American Akita, he's pinto & white I believe, nice and chunky and he is verrrry handsome. They have been contemplating studding him for a while now and have came to the conclusion that this is what they are going to do. He is fully papered, KC registered and in excellent health. He has recently turned 5 and is a lovely boy with a good temprement. He is very chunky, infact the biggest akita I've ever seen lol! I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience posting a dog up for stud & if they have any tips or could point me in the right direction? Thank you so much, Brooke.

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
When you say in excellent health, does that mean the dog has had the relevant health checks to clear him? Not just a look over from the vet to say 'yeah, he's healthy'... but hip scores, blood tests, etc?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Does he have relevant health tests?
Why do they want to stud him? What are they getting out of it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think he might have health tests i will need to double check and let you guys know.. i dont really know much only vaguely. I just got told to post sorry lol.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
I hope that your friends realise that the dog will change once he's been used at stud :whistling2:, if he's kept indoors he will probably start scent marking indoors & may well become "dirty" too. This is why most breeders keep their stud dogs in kennels (they will also be kept well away from any other dogs the breeder may have). It is not something to be taken lightly, needs to be thought through, could they cope with the dog howling constantly when it gets a whiff of a bitch in season in the neighbourhood? They can smell a bitch in season upto a mile away. Can they cope when he stops eating? All things to consider :2thumb:.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yeah as above, once they have done the deed it often becomes ALL they want to do.

Reactions: Cleo27

·
Registered
112 Posts
oh dear.. i work in animal rescue and the amount of unwanted akita and husky types is shocking please tell them not too add to the problem they will soon be as unwanted and over bred as the staffys.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
As a dog breeder myself, it is important to have all the relevant health checks for that particular breed. That means DNA testing, eye tests, hearing tests and hip scores. It doesn't come cheap and of course all the bitches that come to visit should also have the relevant checks.

The fact that you may use your dog as a stud dog does not mean it is always howling and marking indoors. For many of us, our dogs are primarlily family pets and the fact that a bitch comes to visit should not make much difference to their personality.

I have to say there a too many people out there just breeding to make some money and they have not had all the tests done. I would most certainly recommend to your friends that they look into this more carefully and perhaps leave it to the professionals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts