Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i was just wondering how you keep your FBT's bellies nice and red, we've just bought 2 more FBT's and noticed how our older ones have a more orange belly than red. we had read about using Betacarotene, whihch will keep them nice and red, its just they're used more for humans and come in a capsule form.

the problem was our eldest FBT's never took to any over food other than Waxworms, so they got very fat and not much nutritional value, but last night we fed them some cricket and they went for them along with the 2 new FBT's.

what i thought i could do would be to split open the capsules and pour the betacarotene on the crickets food, this way when our FBT's eat a cricket, the cricket should be full of betacarotene and this should help the FBT's with given them nice red bellies again.

what you think? :hmm:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the same cricket go to my Leo Gecko's and my Steno Petrii Gecko's too, the flakes and carrot wont harm those will they? If anything the Gecko's too will benifit from the added colouring, right?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well we've got 2 Kricket Keepers, this should solve that problem :D

anything else i can feed the crickets to help with the frogs colours?

any good colour enhancing fish flakes that you use?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
It's the spirulina algae that the toads eat in the wild that give them the scarlet bellies. Try tetramin colour enhancing flakes or T-Rex Fire belly toad dust. Specifically enhanced wirh spirulina algae and betacarotene

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
To be honest gutloading crickets with colour enhancer has minimal effect and really isn't worth doing. You can can dust the crickets with a colour enhancer as used for birds but most of these can be toxic to the toads if fed too much. Dusting the crickets with spirulina again with have a minimal effect.
These toads naturally show a variation in the red colouration if you look at an import of WC toads some are dark scarlet red others naturally a paler orange or even dark yellow, it's natural why not just love them as they are?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
believe us, we do love them as they are, just that when we got them their bellies were very red and we just feel that its due to a unhealthy diet of waxworms only that their colouring has changed, we just feel that now theyve had some crickets we could get their bellies back to how they once were, while improving their diet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts