Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

just a quick question how do you all keep your beardie tnaks warm over the winter, needing to know asap as i thinks my tank is gettin a tad cold for him now the winter months are drawing in in england!

right now as a precaution im keeping his heat lamp on but im bit worried it will disrupt his sleeping pattern, any help would be grat

many thanks nick

·
Registered
132 Posts
turn the heat lamp of, it will do him no good, if you must use one at night have it on a stat and make it a blue or red bulb, but beardies are fine with colder nights, it gets very cold in the desert at nights, what temp is the room you are keeping him in?

·
Registered
270 Posts
maybe put a heat mat on the side of the viv not the bottom as they cant sense the heat from below them , have it on a stat then it will heat up and when the temp is up will switch off till it drops again

rob

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
but beardies are fine with colder nights, it gets very cold in the desert at nights, what temp is the room you are keeping him in?
No heat mats in the desert :grin1: I have no heating for any of my beardies at night :smile:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i have heat mats attached to my vivs just in case, though have never used them as the temps don't generally get cold enough.
don't keep a light on though, it'll confuse the beardies day/night cycle.
good luck!!

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
They dont need heat at night.
In the Australian outback it's much colder than it is inside our houses in vivs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
What is the general thought about night time heat? I made a thread about this a few days back as I was led to beleive the temp shouldn't drop too far below 65F, which it is now starting to do. Do most people use mats etc or just leave the temperature to drop?

Ian

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
65f isa good fgure to go by... but drop to colder would do less harm than leaving the light on does... hat is with you ppl lately? coming up wih tecraziest thigs :)

Anyone here got cental heatng? lol
just set the radiators to low just to take the edge off...
failing that.... a heatmat attached to the back of the viv on a stat with the probe wherever and set to 72 degrees will do yuh fine.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
No heat mats in the desert :grin1: I have no heating for any of my beardies at night :smile:

100% agree

they dont do heatmats in the dessert and it gets bloommin cold there at night... all my beardies r fine :)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
they dont have heat lamps in the desert either but they do have sand/clay which holds heat from the daytime and stays warm to the touch well into the early hours of the morning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers

ok guys n girls chher for the advice, just last night i thought id check on him just before i went to bed and he was curled up in the corner on the floor (he normal sleeps clinging behind his log in the corner) and he didnt look to good and was stone cold when i picked him up and it worried the hell outa me being a new keeper etc, so the genral concius (sorri speeling crap!) is no heat mats and no lights?

·
Registered
484 Posts
yes our 2 both have their own viv with play sand and when the light and uv go out around 1100pm thats it unitl next morning say around 7.00am they are cold to the touch but curl up to retain their heat... after a few minutes of lights they start to wake up , by the way our 2 vivs are in a bedroom one on top of the other, if your viv is directly on a concrete floor downstairs say on a concrete floor then you may need a small heat mat and thermostat just as a back up but they should be good for around 60 f its colder in the scrubland where they originate from at night....

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I dont agree atall...

I wouldnt have the viv get cooler than 65 degrees.
If you cant keep your room temp up i would use a heatpad... but it HAS to be on a stat so it only keeps the viv just above the 65 mark.

·
Registered
294 Posts
No heating for me either, central heating kicks in around 2am in the house so that's all we have, in fact we haven't even started that yet and he's fine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i would say its better than a white light if you are going to use one but you would be better with a heat mat on a stat like dean said, or just set your central heating to come on for a little bit during the night,, just curious,, what is everyones room temp at night?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I personally wouldn’t let the viv temps fall below 65F a night either. Especially not for baby dragons. You could try using a ceramic heater at night attached to a thermostat. That’s what I do and it works really well. :smile: It doesn’t give off any light at all so therefore doesn’t disturb my beardie. It’s also on a day/night thermostat so it backs up the basking light temps during the day if needed. I live in the middle of the countryside so it usually gets a few degrees colder here than in the town. My beardie’s viv is in the spare bedroom and the radiator in there is really pants, so the room can get really cold at night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts