Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOW TO QUARANTINE YOUR SICK TORTOISE!

This is for anyone who is not quite sure on each step you will need to take when your tortoise needs to be in quarantine! I.E. If they have Runny Nose Syndrome !.

1) Take tortoise away from any other torts and keep in a table on its own, if in the house I would also say to keep in a different room to the other torts as well so they are not sharing the same air supply.
2) If outdoor enclosure, when stepping into one that has a contagious tortoise clean shoes with disinfectant
And try to leave them to last to help with this process.
3) Always wash hands with anti-bacterial soap or sanitizer every time!! you handle the tort! Or you could use disposable gloves, every time you handle the tort.
4) If you think any bodily fluids of any kind has got on your cloths , change them before going near any other tort or pet!
5) Sterilise there water pot every day and slate that you feed them on, using boiling water or a tortoise safe disinfectant!
6) When tort is better, thoroughly sterilise there indoor and outdoor enclosure and put fresh substrate in and fresh bedding, you wouldn’t want to re catch the illness through a dirty home!.

Written by Rachael ( Mollbags)

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Can i add to that.

You need an alcohol based hand cleaner they remove 99.9% of germs not like the anti-bacterial stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the alcohol hand rub is great but it does take an age to dry. I have two small buckets in my shed, one with trigene and one with water. Between species I simpley dunk my hands in each as long as the water is replaced regually it is fine. I have heard that trigene perfumed is harmful to reptiles so I use trigene clear.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
the alcohol hand rub is great but it does take an age to dry. I have two small buckets in my shed, one with trigene and one with water. Between species I simpley dunk my hands in each as long as the water is replaced regually it is fine. I have heard that trigene perfumed is harmful to reptiles so I use trigene clear.
What do you use. I use one from home bargains and i use it about 40 times a day and drys very fast. I also use it in the house.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think it is called amprotect don't get me wrong it is good stuff but I prefere the dunk method because if you get your hands wet (spraying changes water bowls ect) the gel gets a bit greasy !!

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
If you have a local home bargains near you try the stuff in there its only £1.99 for a huge bottle. Worth a try. I get through so much of it :)

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
hygienics anti-bacterial moisturising hand gel - (alcohol,kills 99.9% of all known germs, no water required) again from home bargains..dunno if this is the one Sarah is on about..if so it's very good and would definately recommend it. £1.99 for about 500ml..what with the snakes n torts i do get through alot of it a month tho..still at that price it's a bargain n well worth it :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
excellent info, im quarantining a tort at the mo and from those points and those that've been added.... im doing everything right!: victory::notworthy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
dot

please give me some ideas on how to get my leopard tortoise to start eating for me

HOW TO QUARANTINE YOUR SICK TORTOISE!

This is for anyone who is not quite sure on each step you will need to take when your tortoise needs to be in quarantine! I.E. If they have Runny Nose Syndrome !.

1) Take tortoise away from any other torts and keep in a table on its own, if in the house I would also say to keep in a different room to the other torts as well so they are not sharing the same air supply.
2) If outdoor enclosure, when stepping into one that has a contagious tortoise clean shoes with disinfectant
And try to leave them to last to help with this process.
3) Always wash hands with anti-bacterial soap or sanitizer every time!! you handle the tort! Or you could use disposable gloves, every time you handle the tort.
4) If you think any bodily fluids of any kind has got on your cloths , change them before going near any other tort or pet!
5) Sterilise there water pot every day and slate that you feed them on, using boiling water or a tortoise safe disinfectant!
6) When tort is better, thoroughly sterilise there indoor and outdoor enclosure and put fresh substrate in and fresh bedding, you wouldn’t want to re catch the illness through a dirty home!.

Written by Rachael ( Mollbags)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Can I just correct the impression given in this thread that alcohol-based 'sanitiser' gels or liquids are an adequate method to present cross infection? They are not. They should absolutely NOT be relied on as the main or only defence. They are a secondary measure only. They do not work if your hands are even slightly dirty, and you need a minimum 30 second all-over exposure. Even then, they are of limited value against many pathogens encountered in tortoises and they offer practically no residual activity. A much, much better option is to first wash hands in soap and water, and follow up with not an alcohol-based gel, but one based on benzalkonium chloride. These are much more effective. They are also kinder to skin and are safer (they're non-flammable - an issue around heaters/lights). You can get it under various brands, including as 'Wipeout 4'.

Andy Highfield
www.tortoisetrust.org

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks for that Andy....I sure neber realised that my gel wasnt worth its salt...so to speak.

What about F10?

Will get soem Wipeout for the new tort room after xmas....which is when it is finished...

·
Registered
684 Posts
F10 is based on quaternary ammonia and a Biguanidine compound, Polyhexanide, I believe.

It's kill time for some of the nastier pathogens that might be encountered in chelonia is very slow (30 minutes+ for some viruses, and 15 minutes+ for some fungi). For environmental disinfection something like Virkon-S is substantially more potent. Good old bleach, used properly, is also very effective (not on hands, obviously). For hands, soap and water and benzalkonium chloride is the best route.

Andy Highfield
www.tortoisetrust.org

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Can I just correct the impression given in this thread that alcohol-based 'sanitiser' gels or liquids are an adequate method to present cross infection? They are not. They should absolutely NOT be relied on as the main or only defence. They are a secondary measure only. They do not work if your hands are even slightly dirty, and you need a minimum 30 second all-over exposure. Even then, they are of limited value against many pathogens encountered in tortoises and they offer practically no residual activity. A much, much better option is to first wash hands in soap and water, and follow up with not an alcohol-based gel, but one based on benzalkonium chloride. These are much more effective. They are also kinder to skin and are safer (they're non-flammable - an issue around heaters/lights). You can get it under various brands, including as 'Wipeout 4'.

Andy Highfield
www.tortoisetrust.org

I am so glad this has been pointed out as I have seen so many people use alcohol based gels as though they somehow magically make everything OK.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Could you add Andy's comments on hygene to the post on quarantine as together they form a stronger and broader statement?

Rom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help me!!

Hay i got a yellow bellied slider and im a bit worried about it because he/she isnt eating. What should i do?? Please let me know asap please. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there,

Would just like to say hand sanitizer lotions should be used as a first protection. BUT before handling other pets exspecially torts you must wash your hands with hot soapy water. And dry with paper towels which can be then binned!

Dylan:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts