Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:oo: hey, was just wondering how to set up my thermostat for my heat mat.
i need to know how to do it and where to place the probe etc, thankyou

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hiya.. how big is the viv, how big is the heatmat and whats goin in it?

basically u set the stat at a temp... the sensor goes wherever u want the stat to turn off when that spot gets to that temp..

so if u want the middle of the viv to never go higher than 85, u put the probe in the middle and set the stat at 85...

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
The heatmat covers 3/4 of the viv?! This is far too large, it should only cover about a third of the floor, this gives a proper gradient down the viv.

To set the thermostat up set it to 95 and place the probe at the hot end. Then use a reliable thermometer to check the temps in the viv - don't just rely on what the dial on the stat says, you may have to fiddle with it a little to get your temps spot on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hey my viv is 3foot by 1 foot and my heat mat covers up 3/4 of the viv. the temps need to be around 95'
what are you putting in the viv, as 95 seems high for most things :shock:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
is the rule not 2/3 for lizards generally? and 1/3 for snakes?

it really depends on species in as much as if it was a beardie u wouldnt set the probe on the warm end as the warm end can be very warm, urd set it near the cool side so the cool end didnt go to high but warm end can be high as you like within reason.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
is the rule not 2/3 for lizards generally? and 1/3 for snakes?
I didnt know what was going in it Dean, so figured I'd err on the side of caution. The mat is still too large though! Tbh if its for lizards you would be better off buying a heat bulb and dimmer stat.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Re- probe placement. The probe should be placed as close to the mat as possible - either fixed to the mats surface, or fixed to a false floor above the mat, with a piece of blu-tack.

Mats hardly heat the air at all so if the probe isn't touching the mat (or as near as) the stat won't be able to control it properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts