Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog Jake is a lovely boy but he has one really irritating habit. We've not really addressed it as it's not something he does very often and we're not sure how to stop him.

Whenever someone comes to the door or he hears a loud noise outside he barks constantly. It's most annoying when you are in on your own and waiting on a delivery or something as he'll bark from the moment he hears the door until after the delivery guy has left. We can't really use positive renforcement when he's being quiet as he'd have no idea what he was getting treats for. Shouting at him turns him into a quivering wreak that continues to bark anyway.

I'm not really sure how we should address this problem. My old dog would completely ignore outside noise and only bark once if she heard the door, she'd stop as soon as we made it clear we knew there was someone there.

Jake is a 10yo collie cross we got last August.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
my boy was like this, so i taught him the speak command, every time he'd bark i'd say speak excitedly and reward him, once he got the hang of that i taught the quiet command, after barking or when he is relaxed, say the command and reward.
If these don't work you could try including him in the door greeting process (sounds nervous this could help there) have him heal at your side, feeding/treating as your answering the door.
Also a whistle or clap of the hands its a different sound to what he's used to is a good distration if he stopped barking when you do this, teach the quiet command here in stead

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
by shouting at him, while he is barking, you make it worse, he thinks you are joining in with his barks. its a trap many owners fall into

he needs to be trained up more to respond to "No!" properly every single time, but dont shout it or repeat it over and over again, train him up using the command in other situations, and reward his behaviour when he responds appropriately, but dont give him attention if he doesnt follow the command first time, just wait for him to shut up, then reward/praise him...it takes patience

when he barks inappropriately, tell him No! and then ignore him completely, any interaction with him if he ignores your command will compound the problem

the quiet command is also very useful as suggested.

you could also train him to do something else, if he will go to bed on command already, then reinforce the command with a treat, they cant bark and chew at the same time, you can simulate activity at the door once that behaviour has been properly established, to make it more effective when a stranger arrives....just dont be tempted to shout and repeat commands, and be consistent, if you let him bark or reinforce his barking by shouting 1 in 10 times, you are going to have a constant battle on your hands

1 - 5 of 5 Posts