Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks if anyone has any of the following books for sale PLEASE let me know.... I am deperate for these for my Uni Degree in Animal management and Behaviour

ESSENTIAL Reading:
Alcock, J. (2009) Animal behaviour: an evolutionary approach (3rd edition). USA: Sinauer Associates
Bradshaw D, (2003). Vertebrate ecophysiology: an introduction to its principles and applications. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
Dugatkin LA. (2004) Principles of animal behaviour. WW Norton and Company
Fraser, D. (2008), Understanding Animal Welfare:The science in its cultural context. Oxford: Blackwell Science Ltd.
Hill RW, Wyse GA and Anderson M (2008), Animal Physiology 2nd Ed. Sinauer Associates Inc.
Martin, P. & Bateson. P. (2007) Measuring Behaviour: An Introductory Guide. 3rd edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
Warren, D. (2001) Small Animal Care & Management, Delmar Publishers
Willmer P, Stone G, Johnston I (2005), Environmental Physiology of Animals 2nd Ed, Blackwell Science Ltd.
Young R J, (2003). Environmental enrichment for captive animals, UFAW Animal Welfare Series. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific.

Recommended:
Akers RM and Denbow D (2008), Anatomy and Physiology of Domestic Animals, Wiley Blackwell
Arnold, N. & Ovenden, D (2002) Reptiles & amphibians of Britain & Europe. United Kingdom: Collins
Aughey E and Frye F L (2001), Comparative Veterinary Histology, Manson Publishing
Battersby, J. (2005) UK mammals: first report by the tracking partnership: species status and population trends: United Kingdom: JNCC.
Bekoff, M. & Byers, J.A. (1998) Animal play: evolutionary, comparative and ecological perspectives. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
Bone Q , Marshall N B, Blaxter J H S (2007), Biology of Fishes 3rd edition, Chapman and Hall
Cotgreave, P. & Forseth, I. 2002. Introductory Ecology. Blackwell Science.
Cunningham J G and Klein B G (2007), Textbook of Veterinary Physiology, Saunders
Dallas, S. (2006) Animal Biology & Care. Oxford: Blackwell publishing Ltd.
Danchin, E., Giraldeau, L. & Cezilly, F. (2008) Behavioural ecology. Oxford: Oxford University Press
Eckert R, Randall DJ, Burggren W, French K and Burggren WW (2001), Eckert: Animal Physiology 5th ed, W.H.Freeman & Co Ltd
Hosey G, Melfi V and Pankhurst S, (2009). Zoo animals: Behaviour, management and welfare. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Hudson, P., Rizzoli, A., Grenfell, B., Heesterbeek, H. & Dobson, A. (2001) Ecology of wildlife diseases. United Kingdom: Oxford University Press
Judah V and Nuttall K, (2008). Exotic animal care & management. New York: Thomson Delmar Learning.
Jurd R D (2003) Instant Notes in Animal Biology, Bios Scientific Publishers
Krebs J R & Davies N B. (1993) An introduction to behavioural ecology (3rd Edition). Oxford: Blackwell Science Publishers
Kunz, T.H. & Fenton, M.B. (2005) Bat Ecology. USA: University of Chicago Press
Lane, D. R., Cooper, B. & Turner, L. (2007) BSAVA Text Book of Veterinary Nursing, British Small Animal Veterinary Association
Macdonald, D. & Barret, P. (1993) Mammals of Britain & Europe. United Kingdom: Collins
MacDonald, D. & Burnham, D. (2008) The state of Britains mammals. United Kingdom: Peoples trust for Endangered Species.
Macdonald, D. (2009) Encyclopedia of mammals. United Kingdom: Oxford University Press
Mann, J., O’Connor, R., Tyack, T.L. & Whitehead, A. (2000) Cetacean societies; field studies of whales and dolphins: USA: Chicago University Press
Manning A & Stamp Dawkins M .(1998) An Introduction to Animal behaviour (5th Edition). Great Britain: Cambridge University Press.
Marieb EN and Hoehn K (2006) Human Anatomy and Physiology, Pearson Education
Mason G (ed) and Rushen J (ed), (2006). Stereotypic animal behaviour: Fundamentals and applications to welfare. 2nd ed. Wallingford: CABI.
McFarland D. (1999) Animal Behaviour 3rd Edition. Essex: Addison Wesley Longman Ltd.
McFarland, D. (2006) A dictionary of animal behaviour. Oxford: Oxford University Press
McGowan C (1999), Practical guide to Vertebrate Mechanics, Cambridge University Press
Moore J and Overhill R (2001), An Introduction to the Invertebrates (Studies in Biology), Cambridge University Press
Moyes CD and Schulte PM (2008), Principles of Animal Physiology 2nd Ed. Pearson Education Inc.
Ploger, B.J. & Yasukawa. K. (2002) Exploring behaviour in the laboratory and field. Academic Press
Poole T (ed), (1999). The UFAW handbook on the care and management of laboratory animals volume 2: Amphibious and aquatic vertebrates and advanced invertebrates. 7th ed. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific.
Primack, R.B. (2000). A Primer of Conservation Biology. Second Edition. Sinauer.
Roberts V (ed) and Scott-Park F (ed), (2008). BSAVA Manual of farm pets, BSAVA Manuals. Gloucester: BSAVA.
Schatten H (ed) and Constantinescu G M (ed), (2007). Comparative reproductive biology. Iowa: Blackwell.
Schmidt-Nielsen K (1997), Animal Physiology: Adaptation and Environment, Cambridge University Press
Scott, G. (2005) Essential animal behaviour. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific
Sterry, P. (2008) Collins complete guide to British wildlife. United Kingdom: Collins
Svensson, L., Mullarney, K., Zetterstrom, D. & Grant, P.J. (2009) Collins bird guide (2nd Ed). United Kingdom: Collins
Tortora G J (2005), Principles of Anatomy and Physiology, Harper Collins
Tortora GJ and Grabowski S R (2002), Principles of Anatomy and Physiology, Harper Collins
Townsend, C.R., Begon, M. & Harper, J.L. (2008) Essentials of ecology (3rd Ed.). London: Blackwell
Walker WF, Hornberger D (1999), Anatomy and Dissection of the Rat, WH Freeman & Co Ltd
Ward J D, (2008). A manual for laboratory animal management, Manuals in Biomedical Research vol 5. London: World Scientific.
Waugh A and Grant A (2006), Anatomy and Physiology in Health and Illness, Churchill Livingstone
Webster J, (2005). Animal welfare - limping towards eden, UFAW Animal Welfare Series. Oxford: Blackwell.
White B (2001), Studying for Science, A guide to information, communication and study techniques, Spon Press
Wolfensohn S and Honess P, (2005). Handbook of primate husbandry and welfare. Oxford: Blackwell.
Wolfensohn S and Lloyd M, (1998). Handbook of laboratory animal management and welfare. 2nd ed. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific.

·
Super Moderator
16,968 Posts
I presume you've looked on eBay and Amazon for them. Amazon do also sell them second hand and sometimes you'll be lucky and get one for 0.01p although there is p&p on top!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah doing that at same time... just got the entire reading list today so figured I'd throw the list up here too and work down it as I get them lol

·
Registered
558 Posts
I did a degree in animal behaviour and trust me, you do not need all those books! lol. Your uni should have most of them anyway and at the end of the day, you can't use any of them in your assignments so no need to shell out on all that lot!

·
Registered
558 Posts
PS: I have this one "Alcock, J. (2009) Animal behaviour: an evolutionary approach (3rd edition). USA: Sinauer Associates" though. Message me if interested mate.

Good luck with the course!! :no1:

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
i'm in my second year of an animal degree and i agree that you dont need to buy all the books, not even the essential ones, your uni library will have copies of them, and if its the same as mine then if they dont have it they will order it in for us or get more copies.

i've only got 4 or 5 of my own books to do with the course and that was because one was £2 on ebay, and the others were dirt cheap on amazon second hand.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Dallas, S. (2006) Animal Biology & Care. Oxford: Blackwell publishing Ltd.
I have this, PM me if interested.

Good read.

Also have an old black veterinary manual which is good for a laugh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts