Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen a few posts on here on the past regarding the pic below....it did my head in because nobody could identify it....so i went on a search....and it turns out to be an olive python!

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Seen those before, but what I was more curious about was the location where these pix were taken :roll:

Also, what animal is the prey ? It looks to me like some sort of tapir, but not sure if they would be found in these snakes' habitats :roll:

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I thought the prey looked more like a wild pig of some kind? Seen the pics before too and remember it being an olive python.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Just did a quick search and I think this link sums it up ( http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~sofar/id74.htm ). I believe the prey has got to be a rock wallaby (a cousin of a kangaroo) :D

Oddly enough I travelled quite a bit through places that resemble very much the ones in the picture in Australia (specially Northern Territory and North of Western Australia).

Nice one, I was always curious what snake that one was. It says it can grow up to 21 foot long, but that one looks even bigger :shock:

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
My step sister is in Ozz right now. She has pics of a snake that was hanging about outside where she was staying. Said it was about 18foot, I'll try and get her to email me those pics :)

But the thing its dragging(in your pic) looks massive.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
looks like it might be bigger than 18ft.. have seen the pics before though, did anyone decide what snake it was?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i read it was a wallaby....and in the pilbara part of oz? somethin like that...im after some olive pythons...so if anyone knows anyone who breeds please pm me xxx

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
no i mean what snake is it?

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
cornmorphs said:
no i mean what snake is it?
Come on Nige, it says OLIVE PYTHON in the very first post in this thread :D

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
He's younger than me :lol:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Never seen anyone advertised, and not sure it would be the easiest of the snakes to keep. It seems to be quite a monster, and more likely to be ideal in a zoo with plenty of space :roll:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I am not convinced its an Olive the largest recorded olive is 13 feet and that looks bigger than that, average length for olives are 8 feet 2 inches. feeds on a variety of prey including small wallabies. it may be a dull adult amethystine (scrub)python max length 27 feet 10 inches. Taken from Australian Pythons by John Coborn, It seems odd that other care sheets say they get alot bigger.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Good shout but I think we are still off the mark.

I've just done a quick search on the scrub python, and looking at the picture in about 10 different web site, it looks nothing like the one in the original post.

The other problem with it, is that the scrub python's habitat is the rainforest in north east Queensland. I've been there as well, and it has nothing to do with the habitat shown in that picture which was clearly taken in central, western or nothern Australia.

Oddly enough, I still think it would be more likely to be an olive python that grew up about the normal rate. At least the habitat, the prey and the looks of the snake would be consistent in that picture :roll:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Dexter said:
The other problem with it, is that the scrub python's habitat is the rainforest in north east Queensland. I've been there as well, and it has nothing to do with the habitat shown in that picture which was clearly taken in central, western or nothern Australia.

Oddly enough, I still think it would be more likely to be an olive python that grew up about the normal rate. At least the habitat, the prey and the looks of the snake would be consistent in that picture :roll:
scrub python North easterd Queensland, New Guinea,the moluccas and many adjacent islands, It occurs in a vierety of habitats from rain forest to scrub often close to water during the winter it moves to rocky outcrops above water to bask in the sun. Are the ones you have seen adults? as they tend to fade as they get older. That first pic I can just about make out markings the pic below looks like a smaller olive though.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I'm not disputing what you're saying by no means, it's just that looking at the evidence so far, it just don't match that the snake in the picture would be anything else but an olive python.

I was flicking through some web sites on the internet, and came across a web site for the Victorian Herpetological Society which is very interesting.

That's the web site http://www.vhs.com.au/pages/Intro.html. There are care sheets for a few australian snakes including the olive python, which is worth reading.

I took my time to send them an email attaching that very first picture in this thread asking them to kindly identify it for us. If it's an australian species, I'm sure they will be able to identify it straight away with no mistakes.

As I said, I travelled by car from Cairns to Darwin, and from there to the west coast of Australia (Broome). I'm sure if that picture was taken in Australia, it would have been taken in NT or WA, maybe in Queensland, but would have to be at the border with NT. The Scrub Python (based on the info I get from the web sites) would live in north east of Queensland in the rain forest which is a complete different climate and environment.

But at the end of the day, I'm just saying what I'm saying based on what I'm reading on the internet, so it could be all bollocks :wink:

These are the pictures I got from the net:

Olive Python

Olive Python:

Scrub Python:

Scrub Python:

That's a picture I took when I crossed the border from between Queensland and Northern Territory 8)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts