Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there :)

We have a scaleless cornsnake since January. Her last sheds were without problems, but this time she's shedding in patches.
At the moment we don't add humidity to the vivarium - we have a heat source and UV light (both in cages), a warm and a cold hide, artificial plants, and two pools (also a warm and a colder one).

When we bought her, the seller said there's no significant differences to "normal" cornsnakes.
The only thing that might differ is that she soaks in water a bit more (hence the two pools).

So, because she seems to have shedding problems and her skin looks quite dry, today I picked her up (which she tolerates nicely) and carefully placed her in the bigger pool, but she appeared quite anxious when she touched the water and got out quickly. I read online that putting wet water towels in a box and having her move through that would be another thing to try in case she fails to get rid of it herself.

Talking about preventing this from happening in the future - I wonder if anyone knows what humidity level our cornsnake needs, keeping in mind she's scaleless?
I'm happy to get a moisture meter/hygrometer. Do you keep the right moisture with a device or do you spray water?

Thank you very much!

Sarah

P.S.: Her name is Cassie :)

·
Registered
13,020 Posts
Please upload a photo of the shedded skin sometime, please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Hey there :)

We have a scaleless cornsnake since January. Her last sheds were without problems, but this time she's shedding in patches.
At the moment we don't add humidity to the vivarium - we have a heat source and UV light (both in cages), a warm and a cold hide, artificial plants, and two pools (also a warm and a colder one).
Details of what you are using, how its set up, how its controlled etc would help...

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
They don't need any more humidity than a normal scaled corn. The only difference in shedding is that there is no layer of scales on top of the skin. If this is a regular issue try putting in a moss box. This will provide a localised high humidity spot of the snake needs it.
For now, pop your snake in either a tub with a secure lid with a shallow layer of tepid water or in a box of wet moss. Either works. Leave for about 10 minutes then let the snake move through a rough towel.
Make sure that the tail tip and spectacles come off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't need any more humidity than a normal scaled corn. The only difference in shedding is that there is no layer of scales on top of the skin. If this is a regular issue try putting in a moss box. This will provide a localised high humidity spot of the snake needs it.
For now, pop your snake in either a tub with a secure lid with a shallow layer of tepid water or in a box of wet moss. Either works. Leave for about 10 minutes then let the snake move through a rough towel.
Make sure that the tail tip and spectacles come off.
Thank you, I did that and it worked well! Came off in many bits, but it did come off. She only has one little patch on her head left now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please upload a photo of the shedded skin sometime, please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello,

No problem! She actually has scales on her belly, but none on her back (sorry, can't really describe it better).

Here's what it looks like:

Sarah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts