Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Sure what im doing wrong! Have tried numerous possibilities, but my Beardies Viv keeps going high up to 70% on the Humidity. I am using a cheap dial thermometer, will get a digital one ordered today.

Usually some point in the day it drops back to 40% but do I need to worry unecessarily? Im worried its going to become too humid. Ill post some pics of the viv in a mo.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
how is the viv setup?

How many vents do you have?

What substrate are you using?

What heating are you using?

Are you spraying them?

Do you have pitures of the setup?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how is the viv setup? UV Light on between 7.30am-9.30pm, Dimmer 70w Heat lamp on when temp cools enough to automatically switch on. Hot area about 95-100 cool area about 80.

How many vents do you have? - Just the two at the top right

What substrate are you using? Kitchen Towels

What heating are you using? See above, but all switches off about 930-10pm depending on weather, drops to about 70 in coolest part of viv

Are you spraying them? Don't spray but have a very shallow bowl of water for her to bathe in which she does

Do you have pitures of the setup?
please see my photobox link for pics of the viv (remember the woodchip photos are not my viv that was her previous owner) mine is hte choc brown colour viv.

DSCF6030 - A photo shared by PhotoBox member Angela Jackson - a public album shared on Photobox, the UK's leading digital photo service.

Thank you

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would say your problem is you have a water bowl in there. And from the picture it looks like a big water bowl and takes up quite a bit of floor space.

Beardies don't need water as they have adapted to take all the water they need from what they eat. When they urinate it is very concentrated to just waste and no water so they keep as much water as possible as to not dehydrate. Try taking your water bowl out

Have a read of this
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/177301-your-bearded-dragon-its-habitat.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say your problem is you have a water bowl in there. And from the picture it looks like a big water bowl and takes up quite a bit of floor space.

Beardies don't need water as they have adapted to take all the water they need from what they eat. When they urinate it is very concentrated to just waste and no water so they keep as much water as possible as to not dehydrate. Try taking your water bowl out

Have a read of this
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/177301-your-bearded-dragon-its-habitat.html
I have had so much conflicting advise, keep the bowl in/out, and i know she drinks from the bowl, and quite often just sit in it too. Have taken it out for a bit to see if the humidity drops, it was on 55 so ill see what it is in a bit. Ordered the digital humidity thermometer which will arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The humidity will drop when you take the bowl out. It will drop quicker if you have the doors open as well. I'm surprised you beardie sits in the water as they like it dry....

You will never keep the humidity from raising if you have a water bowl in there. With the heat beardies need, it's going to evaporate. The only thing I can think of is an extraction device that would suck the air out and keep the air flowing through and perhaps keep the humidity low.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Humidity still between 55-60%

Ok< took the water bowl out completely, dont leave salad in there all the time, and bought a digital humidity thermometer thingy!

But still between 55-60% and i notice its usually higher by the morning when everything has been switched off!

Whats your humidity like for your beardie?

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
a fan.

a heat lamp should vaporize the water and the fan should carry the moistier-ladened air away... have the heat lamp shine on a large rock... take the water bowl out at night when you turn the lights off...

a very thick layer of DRY sand will help.... if it gets wet then scoop out the wet part... dry sand will wick away the moistier and release it slowly under the heat lamp... the water bearing air will escape via the screen lid and be accelerated by the fan.

THOSE BOXES I SEE USED ARE BAD FOR DESERT SPECIES... YOU WANT MAXIMUM VENTILATION... WITHOUT PUSHING THE AIR AROUND THE HUMIDITY WILL BUILD... sorry cap-lock...:lol2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I think I am going to upgrade to a larger viv at the end of the month, hopefully to rule out all the issues. I sit with the doors open in the viv when Im home and it drops nicely, but I can't do this when I am not home.

Am I going to get the same problem with the same type of viv for but larger? What viv do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Hi mate,

Check out my viv, check out the vents, the number of them, and there position,

A small exo terra water bowl is all you need, don't listen to the people that say beardies don't need a water bowl, they are wrong.

As for the sand, so long as it's dry...?

Good luck

Jay

P.S. check out the humidity on the thermometer, 39%, with a water bowl in the viv.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts